The All India Football Federation (AIFF) plunged into unprecedented uncertainty after its tender for the Indian Super League (ISL) ended without attracting a single bid. Once hailed as the cornerstone of football’s growth in India, the ISL’s inability to find an investor has exposed severe structural and financial vulnerabilities across the sport’s ecosystem.
The AIFF’s attempt to secure a new partner for broadcasting, sponsorship, and merchandising rights began with optimism in October. Four parties signalled interest and participated in the pre-bid meeting, pressing the federation for clarity on revenue and operations. However, the initial excitement fizzled out as the deadline approached, leaving the tender box empty. Key concerns among potential bidders included the financial structure of the league, vague revenue-sharing proposals, and fears over long-term planning and club income streams.
Central to the problem was the federation’s demand: a minimum annual payment of Rs 37.5 crore or 5 percent of gross revenue for 15 years, combined with operational responsibilities from league production to grassroots development. Experts described these terms as untenable for a league still struggling to stabilize viewership and commercial returns. The result is a vacuum in leadership and funding for Indian football at a critical juncture, just after the men’s national team failed to qualify for the AFC Asian Cup.
With no commercial partner or stable financial plan, the ISL’s future, India’s broader football ambitions now hangs in the balance. Grassroots programmes, national teams, and league administration face immediate disruption. Trust between the AIFF and its stakeholders continues to erode, fueled further by last minute governance controversies, including a Supreme Court petition against the bid committee’s leadership. The failed tender signals challenges much larger than one league, raising urgent questions about the direction and credibility of Indian football’s administrators.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
