Wellington (AP): Ex-captain Kane Williamson has again rejected a central contract with New Zealand Cricket and likely will miss the Black Caps two test tour to Zimbabwe next month.
Williamson also decided not to accept a central contract last year, to leave himself free to play in Twenty20 and other leagues around the world. He instead signed a casual contract last year and still played in nine of New Zealand's 13 tests in 2024, scoring more than 1,000 runs.
Williamson was absent from the list of 20 contracted players released by New Zealand Cricket on Tuesday, along with Devon Conway, Finn Allen, Tim Seifert and Lockie Ferguson who also are playing in T20 leagues overseas. He is expected again to sign a casual contract.
Allrounders Muhammad Abbas and Zak Foulkes, wicketkeeper Mitch Hay and spinner Adi Ashok are contracted for the first time in the absence of Tim Southee, who has retired, Ish Sodhi, Ajaz Patel and Josh Clarkson.
Williamson currently is playing for Middlesex in the English County Championship and T20 Blast and for the London Spirit in The Hundred. He is expected to have county commitments while New Zealand plays Zimbabwe in late July and early August.
In a news conference in London last month, Williamson said that his future on a casual contract is “just a work in progress and New Zealand Cricket have been great with working with that and I've been fortunate throughout.”
The 20 contracted players were ranked on domestic and international performances over the past year.
“The contracts with Mitch, Muhammad, Adi and Zak reflect the incredible talent coming through our system,” New Zealand Cricket chief executive Scott Weenink said.
“These players have shown they can compete at the highest level and their hunger to represent the Black Caps is exciting. We're thrilled to see this group drive our team forward.”
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Washington (AP): The US trade deficit slipped modestly in 2025, a year in which President Donald Trump upended global commerce by slapping double digit tariffs on imports from most countries.
The gap the between the goods and services the US sells other countries and what it buys from them narrowed to just over USD 901 billion from USD 904 billion in 2024, the Commerce Department reported Thursday.
Exports rose 6 per cent last year, and imports rose nearly 5 per cent.
The trade gap surged from January-March as US companies tried to import foreign goods ahead of Trump's taxes, then narrowed most of the rest of the year.
Trump's tariffs are a tax paid by US importers and often passed along to their customers as higher prices.
But they haven't had as much impact on inflation as economists originally expected. Trump argues that the tariffs will protect US industries, bringing manufacturing back to America and raise money for the US Treasury.
