London, Jul 12 (PTI): Stylish opener KL Rahul on Saturday became only the second India batter to score more than one century at the hallowed Lord's, after yesteryear middle-order mainstay Dilip Vengsarkar.
Rahul reached the landmark with a single off Jofra Archer to covers right after the lunch break on the third day of the third Test against England.
However, Rahul was dismissed by off-spinner Shoaib Bashir immediately after getting to the three-figure mark, which was 10th overall in the game's traditional format and ninth away from home.
In all, the Karnataka man scored exactly 100 in 177 balls with the help of 13 boundaries. This was his second hundred of the ongoing five-match rubber after his century in the series opener at Leeds.
During his stay in the middle, Rahul played some lovely drives and flicks, but the standout shot was his backfoot punch square of the wicket off Brydon Carse.
Vengsarkar has three hundreds at Lord's in 1979, 1982 and 1986.
Overall, 10 Indians, including Rahul and Vengsarkar, have managed to make the honours board at Lord's. Vengsarkar is a visiting batter with most hundreds at the iconic venue, which is also known as the Mecca of Cricket.
Rahul's first hundred at the venue had come in 2021, when he scored 129 in India's 151-run win.
The series is locked at 1-1.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Karachi (PTI): At least 16 people, including many children, were killed and 14 others injured when a suspected gas leakage led to an explosion in a residential building in Pakistan's Karachi on Thursday morning.
“The explosion took place around 4:30 am on the first floor of the building located in the Old Soldier Bazar area when everyone was awake for Sehri time,” police official Jamshed Asher said.
The first day of Ramzan is being observed in Pakistan today.
The police official said that the reason for the explosion apparently was a gas leakage.
ALSO READ: IIT-Madras to establish applied AI innovation centre in Dubai
Due to gas shortage in Pakistan’s biggest city, many families especially in lower income residential areas use liquid petroleum gas cylinders at their homes.
Police surgeon Dr Samaiya Syed confirmed that they have received 14 bodies so far from the blast site while 14 injured are under treatment.
The explosion caused a part of the building structure to collapse due to its dilapidated condition.
“We are still searching through the rubble and debris to see if there are any more bodies or survivors,” Chief Fire Officer Humayun Khan said.
The deceased include at least nine children aged between two and 17 while the injured also include seven children.
This is the second major tragedy to occur in Karachi. Last month, a fire broke out in the basement of the Gul Shopping Plaza, a wholesale and retail market, in the Saddar area killing at least 79 people and leaving scores injured.
