New Delhi, May 7 (PTI): Royal Challengers Bengaluru on Wednesday picked Mayank Agarwal as a replacement for injured Devdutt Padikkal, while Delhi Capitals signed Afghanistan's Sediqullah Atal in place of Englishman Harry Brook for the remainder of the Indian Premier League.
Padikkal, who played 10 matches for RCB this season and scored 247 runs with the help of two half-centuries, sustained an injury to his right hamstring.
Agarwal has played 127 IPL matches so far, scoring 2661 runs. He has one IPL hundred and 13 fifties against his name. He joins RCB for Rs 1 Crore.
DC, on the other hand, have signed up 23-year-old Afghan batter Atal, who made headlines with his heroic 85-run knock against Australia in the ICC Champions Trophy earlier this year.
Atal has played 49 T20s across various competitions, scoring 1,507 runs at an average of 34.25, including 13 half-centuries.
He first rose to prominence during the Kabul Premier League 2023, where he smashed 48 runs in a single over. In that innings, he remained unbeaten on 118 off 56 balls, which included seven fours and ten sixes. He also scored a century in the tournament final, making 103 off just 42 deliveries.
Atal played a pivotal role in Afghanistan’s title win at the ACC Men’s T20 Emerging Teams Asia Cup 2024, topping the run-scorers’ chart with 368 runs in five matches.
He replaces Brook, who has been banned by the BCCI for pulling out of the IPL despite being bought at the auction.
"We are excited to welcome Atal to the Delhi Capitals. He is an exciting, young talent who has impressed everyone with his performances for both the Afghanistan youth and senior teams," DC head coach Hemang Badani said.
๐๐ฉ๐ฆ ๐ฌ๐ฏ๐ฐ๐ค๐ฌ๐ด ๐ธ๐ฆ๐ณ๐ฆ ๐ค๐ณ๐ช๐ด๐ฑ, ๐ต๐ฉ๐ฆ ๐ง๐ฐ๐ณ๐ฎ ๐ธ๐ข๐ด ๐จ๐ฐ๐ญ๐ฅ, ๐ ๐บ๐ฐ๐ถ๐ณ ๐ด๐ต๐ฐ๐ณ๐บ ๐ต๐ฉ๐ช๐ด ๐ด๐ฆ๐ข๐ด๐ฐ๐ฏ ๐ธ๐ข๐ด ๐ฎ๐ข๐จ๐ช๐ค ๐ถ๐ฏ๐ต๐ฐ๐ญ๐ฅ โจ
— Royal Challengers Bengaluru (@RCBTweets) May 7, 2025
This campaign won’t be the same without you, Dev. Heal up fast, we’ll keep the fight on, and wait for your comeback next year,… pic.twitter.com/Z4KJ1LkxfG
เฒจเฒฎเณเฒฎ เฒฎเฒจเณ เฒฎเฒ เฒฎเฒฏเฒพเฒเฒเณ! ๐ฅน
— Royal Challengers Bengaluru (@RCBTweets) May 7, 2025
After 1๏ธโฃ2๏ธโฃ long years, ๐ก๐’๐ฌ ๐๐๐๐ค where he belongs. Happy #HomeComing, Mayank. ๐ก
12th Man Army will be on top of the moon hearing this, and they’ll all be right behind you. ๐ซถ pic.twitter.com/k5RwAGINrG
An Afghan Tiger joins the ranks, welcoming Sediqullah Atal ๐โค๏ธ
— Delhi Capitals (@DelhiCapitals) May 7, 2025
He replaces Harry Brook in the squad. pic.twitter.com/MBrVn4MdVZ
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
