London: Former England all-rounder Moeen Ali has criticised the current rules of One Day International (ODI) cricket, stating that they favour batters and have contributed to the decline of the format. He claimed that ODIs have "almost completely died out" except for major tournaments like the World Cup and Champions Trophy.

Speaking to Talksport Cricket, Moeen, who retired from international cricket last year, called the 50-over format the "worst to play" and blamed rule changes for making batting easier while diminishing the role of bowlers.

"In the earlier times, after the first powerplay, five fielders were allowed outside the circle, but now it's four, which makes batting easier in the middle overs. Additionally, the use of two new balls has reduced the chances of reverse swing," he said.

Moeen, who played 138 ODIs for England, highlighted that the current rules allow batters to dominate, leading to higher averages and reduced wicket-taking opportunities for bowlers.

"The extra fielder rule is terrible for building pressure and taking wickets. Players now average 60 or 70 in ODIs. When you try to put pressure on a batter, he just reverse-sweeps, and instead of a single, it goes for four," he added.

He also warned that the financial incentives in T20 franchise leagues could lead to more players retiring prematurely from international cricket.

"Franchise cricket is sadly eating up the format. The money on offer is so huge that players find it difficult to turn down. Many might retire from international cricket in the coming years to focus on T20 leagues," Moeen said.

Moeen, who will play for Kolkata Knight Riders in the upcoming IPL, has featured in 68 Tests and 138 ODIs for England, amassing over 5,000 international runs and taking more than 300 wickets.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Shillong (PTI): The Meghalaya assembly session for February 20, during which the state budget is scheduled to be presented, could be adjourned as a mark of respect to Shillong MP Ricky A J Syngkon, who died on Thursday evening, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said.

Syngkon reportedly collapsed while playing futsal on the outskits of the city, and doctors at a private hospital declared him dead around 8:45 pm.

"We have discussed with Deputy Chief Minister and in-charge of Parliamentary Affairs, Prestone Tynsong, and we will have a meeting tomorrow with the Business Advisory Committee (BAC) headed by the Speaker," Sangma told PTI.

ALSO READ:  US-India partnership has critical role to play to make AI benefits available to everyone: Pichai

"I have communicated to the Deputy CM that it would be appropriate for the government not to go ahead with the proceedings of the House tomorrow. Even though tomorrow is the day we are supposed to present the budget, it will make absolute sense and a mark of respect to the departed soul if we were to postpone even the presentation of the budget," he said.

Sangma expressed shock over the sudden demise of Syngkon, recalling their recent meeting in Delhi where they discussed development plans for Meghalaya.

"I had met Syngkon about two weeks back in Delhi... that was the last meeting and conversation I had with him," the CM said.

Sangma recalled Syngkon's commitment and passion for the people of Khasi and Jaintia Hills, describing his demise as a "great loss for the state".

"Syngkon served the people with humility, vision and a sincere desire to uplift society. I express my deepest condolences to the family of late Ricky Syngkon, and I pray to the Almighty that he gives strength to the family members as well as his supporters and party leaders to bear the huge loss," the chief minister added.