Dubai, Feb 20 (PTI): Star pacer Mohammed Shami became the fastest Indian bowler and second quickest overall to reach 200 ODI wickets during the Champions Trophy match against Bangladesh here on Thursday, marking his return to an ICC tournament with an excellent five-for.
Shami grabbed three wickets to reach the milestone in his 104th match and better former India pacer Ajit Agarkar's record of getting to the mark in 133 matches.
He then added two more wickets to his tally to end the day with figures of 5/53, strengthening his position as one of the most successful bowler in ICC tournaments.
With 60 wickets, Shami is now India's leading wicket-taker in the two 50-overs ICC events — the ODI World Cup and Champions Trophy — followed by Zaheer Khan (59), Javagal Srinath (47) and Ravindra Jadeja (43).
Jaker Ali, who made 68 and was involved in a 154-run sixth wicket partnership with Towhid Hridoy (100), was Shami's wicket No 200 in the 50-overs format.
Overall, the 34-year-old fast bowler is the second fastest to the mark behind Australian left-arm pacer Mitchell Starc, who needed 102 games.
One of India's finest seamers, Shami averages less than 25 in the ODI format and has so far taken six fifers and 10 four-wicket hauls.
Shami is the eighth Indian to complete 200 wickets in ODI cricket.
Out of international cricket for 14 months owing to an ankle injury that needed surgery, Shami has made a remarkable comeback, though the journey was far from easy as he feared his career was over.
However, his unwavering desire to play for the country again kept him going.
Shami suffered the ankle injury during the 2023 ODI World Cup final against Australia, bringing to a halt an incredible run of form that saw him top the wicket-taker's chart in the tournament.
His recovery was further complicated by swelling in his left knee, as he was sidelined from international for more than a year.
With Jasprit Bumrah injured, Shami is leading the Indian pace attack in the Champions Trophy.
2⃣0⃣0⃣ wickets and counting!
— BCCI (@BCCI) February 20, 2025
Mohd. Shami becomes the fastest bowler for India to scalp 200 ODI wickets! 🫡
Follow the Match ▶️ https://t.co/ggnxmdG0VK#TeamIndia | #BANvIND | #ChampionsTrophy | @MdShami11 pic.twitter.com/CqLyuQPh3X
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.
A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.
It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.
As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."
"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.
The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.
The court listed the matter for hearing next week.
Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.
In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.
The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.
The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.
The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.
The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.
The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.
