Chennai, Jun 26: Veteran off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin felt the on-field histrionics of Afghanistan’s Gulbadin Naib against Bangladesh were justified because it happened in a must-win Super Eight match for his side in the ongoing T20 World Cup.
Naib, who was fielding in the slip cordon, fell on his back while clutching his thighs during the 12th over, just after coach Jonathan Trott signalled to slow down the proceedings as rain was imminent with Afghanistan ahead in the game.
“Jonathan Trott was telling from the dressing room to slow it down and after that Naib fell on the ground like a broken tree branch. Everyone is saying he will be penalised for it. But what’s the problem? The guy is playing for his country, trying to win a World Cup qualifier (must-win match),” Ashwin said in his YouTube channel.
The ICC’s playing conditions stipulate that a player can get up to a two-match ban for "deliberate or repetitive" time-wasting tactics, but Naib might just escape with a first and final warning by the match referee in this instance.
Earlier, Ashwin had remarked in jest on his X account: “Red card for Gulbadin Naib.”
Naib replied to the India off-spinner through his social media handle. “Kabi khushi kabi gham main huta hai (It happens sometimes when you are happy or when you are sad. Hamstring.”
Touching back on a cricketing topic, Ashwin made a tactical observation and said the Afghans should look to survive the early phase of their semifinal against South Africa on Thursday before asserting themselves.
“The Tarouba pitch is two-paced. I have played there. One ball will suddenly take-off, so SA have bowlers to trouble Afghan batters. But SA have to reserve Anrich Nortje for middle overs to give some depth. Rabada should also be used in that phase.
“If not, the Afghans will see through the pacers and then will dominate the spinners which they did very well in the earlier matches. But South Africa is South Africa, I will give them a grand 51-49 odds,” he added.
Kabi khushi kabi gham main huta hai 🤣🤣
— Gulbadin Naib (@GbNaib) June 25, 2024
Hamstring 🤣 https://t.co/48jV4ESpuS
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Prayagraj (UP) (PTI): A special POCSO court here on Saturday ordered the Jhunsi Police Station SHO to register an FIR against Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati to investigate allegations of sexual abuse of boys.
Last week, the court of Special Judge (POCSO Act) Vinod Kumar Chaurasia reserved its decision on an application filed by Ashutosh Brahmachari Maharaj and others under Section 173(4) of the BNS after examining the evidence and recording the statements of the victimised 'batooks', the boys, as they are called at the ashram, Vidya Math.
The petitioner had filed the application seeking direction for an FIR against Avimukteshwaranand under sections 69, 74, 75, 76, 79, and 109 (all related to sexual assault) of the BNS, as well as sections 3/5/9 and 17 of the POCSO Act.
The court accepted the petition and ordered the police to conduct an investigation.
"Now we will get justice," Ashutosh Brahmachari said.
"Starting today, we are organising a Sanatan Yatra from here to Vidya Math (Varanasi). We will demonstrate how children are sexually abused on the fifth floor of Vidya Math. There is ample evidence of child abuse there. We have presented all the evidence to the court and will also provide it to the police," he said.
Avimukteshwarananda has been in the headlines for his confrontation with the organisers of the Magh Mela in Prayagraj. He accused the administration he was prevented from bathing on Mauni Amavasya.
