New Delhi, Aug 19 (PTI): Former India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin on Tuesday expressed disappointment over Shreyas Iyer's exclusion from the Asia Cup squad, terming it "sad" and "unfair" while also questioning the logic behind leaving out opener Yashasvi Jaiswal.

The BCCI has named a 15-member India squad for the continental tournament beginning September 9 in the UAE.

"Selection is a thankless job. You have to let someone out. When you talk to them, you have to go through that sadness and disappointment in their faces. I hope, someone has talked to Shreyas and Jaiswal," Ashwin said on his YouTube channel Ash Ki Baat.

While Iyer, who led Kolkata Knight Riders to the IPL title in 2024, was left out, young opener Jaiswal too did not make the cut.

"When you have Jaiswal as your third opener, you have brought Shubman Gill in the team by removing a person from the World Cup winning squad. I mean, I am happy for Shubman but I am very, very sad for both Shreyas and Jaiswal. It's just not fair on both," Ashwin said.

Highlighting Iyer's track record, Ashwin said: "Look at the credentials of Shreyas Iyer. He went out of the team. But came in the Champions Trophy and did amazing batting. He won and gave it to you.

"If the answer is that Shubman Gill is in blasting form, Shreyas Iyer is also in high-quality form. Jaiswal's innings on a tricky pitch in the last game in the Oval... he is also in cracking form. So, how can you give an answer for this?

"What Shreyas has done wrong... he did brilliantly well for KKR, made them win. He was sent into the auction. He then took Punjab to the finals for the first time since 2014. He overcame the short ball problem. He was hitting the likes of Kagiso Rabada and Jasprit Bumrah with ease in the IPL. I am just extremely sad for him and Yashasvi Jaiswal; it is extremely unfair."

Iyer, who has played 51 T20Is for India, has scored 1104 runs at an average of 30.66 and a strike rate of 136.12. His last appearance in the format came against Australia in December 2023.

The Mumbai batter also has a strong leadership record in the IPL, guiding Delhi Capitals to the playoffs in 2019 and to their maiden final in 2020, before steering KKR to the title last year.

Former India assistant coach Abhishek Nayar too criticised the selectors' decision, suggesting it signals Iyer is no longer in the reckoning for T20 cricket.

"I can't fathom or understand what reason could justify Shreyas Iyer not being part of the 20-member squad," Nayar told JioHotstar.

"I'm not even talking about the final 15, but the 20 itself, which sends a clear message, that Shreyas Iyer is not in the selectors' scheme of things, at least from a T20 perspective."

Gill's elevation as vice-captain, Nayar felt, points towards a long-term leadership role.

"This squad announcement sort of tells you the mindset of the selectors. With selection of Shubman, in time, he is going to be an all-format captain, and that's where they are sort of positioning him.

"Great pick, terrific player. I'm sure he's going to follow the mindset of being attacking, having that approach. And I feel it's going to be a very, very interesting next 12 months in Shubman Gill's life."

The selectors also named pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah in the squad despite recent concerns over his workload, especially with a home series against the West Indies starting in the first week of October.

"We all need to understand that Bumrah is a prized asset. He is the difference between winning and not winning a championship, and that must be respected," Nayar said.

"His workload and his body must be respected, because when you don't have him in crucial matches, the impact is massive. Whatever the plan is, no one knows it better than Bumrah himself. He'll be the best judge of what his body can handle and can communicate that with the selectors and team management.

"Knowing him and having spent time with him, I can tell you nothing matters more to him than performing well and winning championships for India."

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Thiruvananthapuram (PTI): Kerala Police chief Ravada Chandrasekhar has said more than 30,000 drug-related cases were registered in the state last year as part of the government's ongoing 'D-Hunt' drive against drug abuse and trafficking.

In an interview with PTI Videos, the Director General of Police dismissed allegations that Kerala has become a drug hub. The police chief said the higher number of cases reflects stronger detection, not increased drug activity.

Speaking on the 'D-Hunt' campaign, he said it is a coordinated effort by the police and excise departments to crack down on both the supply and demand sides of the drug trade.

Chandrasekhar did not rule out a shift towards synthetic drugs, saying there were clear signs of rising demand.

"The shift towards synthetic drugs is a great possibility, as we regularly seize MDMA. That shows there is an increase in demand. We are addressing it, and we are taking very strong action," Chandrasekhar said.

ALSO READ:  Fireworks shop explosion in China kills 12 people in second such blast in days

The DGP said the police force is giving greater importance to prevention, with awareness programmes organised across the state with community support.

"Our main aim is to reduce the demand side. We are organising various programmes with the help of Student Police Cadets, Janamaithri police and strong community participation," he said.

Highlighting a new initiative, he said the police had launched PODA (Prevention of Drug Abuse) in partnership with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Young India chapter in Thiruvananthapuram.

"Twenty-one companies have come forward and more than 1,000 employees have voluntarily declared they will not use drugs and are ready for random checks. It is a very good initiative," he said, adding that the programme would be expanded across the state.

On enforcement, Chandrasekhar said the police have made major commercial quantity seizures, tightening pressure on drug suppliers and traffickers.

"In all commercial quantity cases, we invoke provisions of the Preventive Detention Act and also forfeit their properties. This sends a strong message to major suppliers," he said.

Dismissing allegations that Kerala has become a drug hub, Chandrasekhar said, "The allegation is unfounded. There is definitely an increase in detection of cases, which means officers are working very hard to identify and take legal action."

The police chief also said that during a special drive on Tuesday, police detained more than 1,200 people, including hundreds against whom warrants were pending.

He said the operation was conducted in the backdrop of the recent Thiruvalla parlour attack, where a woman was assaulted in broad daylight.

"We will continue such drives to take action against criminal elements and enforce preventive custody. These drives will be intensified as the state is heading for elections," Chandrasekhar added.

Chandrasekhar said the Kerala Police largely perform their duties well and receive widespread appreciation from the public, with only a few stray cases of misconduct reported.

The police chief said that in a force of around 60,000 personnel, who interact with 10,000 to 15,000 people every day, only one or two cases of aberrant behaviour come to notice, and strict action is taken in such instances.

"We have 60,000-odd police personnel. There may be a few troublemakers. Every day we touch 10,000 to 15,000 lives either directly or indirectly. One or two small aberrant behaviours come to our notice and we definitely take note of them and take appropriate action against the officers or personnel involved," the DGP said.

He said that overall, the Kerala Police have earned praise for their conduct, citing their role during major events.

"Generally, Kerala Police get a lot of kudos for good behaviour. You have seen it during the Sabarimala season, during the local body elections. In all these areas, police officers conducted themselves extremely well, and their hard work has actually earned us praise," Chandrasekhar said.

The DGP said police personnel have been clearly instructed to behave respectfully with the public, especially with those who approach police stations seeking help.

"My directive to policemen is that we should conduct ourselves with utmost restraint. Behaviour should be the standard norm and we would like to encourage that. I urge my colleagues to do the same and I request the public to support the police so that we can give better service," he said.

He said there is a strong emphasis on mutual respect between the police and the public.

"Anybody coming to a police station should be handled with respect, and all interactions with the public have to be very cordial. Police are public, and public are police. We need to respect each other. Kerala Police is a professional force and we act as per the law," the DGP said.