Riyadh (PTI): Cristiano Ronaldo said on Tuesday he expects his record sixth World Cup next year at age 41 will be his last.
“Definitely, yes, because I will be 41 years old,” Ronaldo told CNN anchor Becky Anderson in a live video link from Portugal's training camp to a tourism conference in Saudi Arabia.
Ronaldo clarified that when he says he will retire from soccer “soon” that should mean “probably one, two years.”
Portugal should seal qualification in the coming days for the World Cup that will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico. The team needs just two points from its final qualifying group games at Ireland on Thursday and hosting last-placed Armenia on Sunday.
Ronaldo's five goals in four qualifying games have extended his men's world record to 143 for a national team.
“I feel very good in this moment. I score goals, I still feel quick and sharp, I'm enjoying my game in the national team,” he said.
In regard to the end of his playing career, Ronaldo said, "Let's be honest, when I mean soon I mean probably one, two years.
“I'm enjoying the moment. But when I mean soon, it's really soon, because I give everything for football. I'm in the game for the last 25 years, I did everything.
“I have many records. I'm really proud. So let's enjoy the moment, live the moment."
Ronaldo and his great rival Lionel Messi are heading to their record sixth World Cups. That would break a tie with German great Lothar Matthäus who played at each World Cup from 1982-98.
Argentina captain Messi is going as the defending champion and will turn 39 during the group stage in North America.
Portugal and Argentina are among the co-hosts of the 2030 World Cup, giving Ronaldo and Messi the chance to exit the World Cup stage at home.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
