New Delhi (PTI): United Spirits Ltd (USL), part of multinational alcoholic beverages company Diageo, on Wednesday said it is going to have a strategic review of its investment in Royal Challengers Sports Pvt Ltd (RCSPL), the entity that owns IPL T20 team Royal Challengers Bengaluru.

Hinting towards the sale of the business, USL, in a regulatory filing on Wednesday, said it is "initiating a strategic review of the investment in its wholly-owned subsidiary, RCSPL."

RCSPL's business comprises ownership of the “Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB)” franchise teams that participate in the Men's Indian Premier League (IPL) and Women's Premier League (WPL) cricket tournaments hosted by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) annually.

RCB, the team that had India's cricket star Virat Kohli, won its first Indian Premier League title earlier this year.

The company expects the entire process of strategic review to be completed by the end of this fiscal.

"It is expected the process will conclude by March 31st, 2026," said USL Managing Director & CEO Praveen Someshwar.

According to Someshwar, though RCSPL has been a valuable and strategic asset for USL, it’s non-core to our alcoholic beverage business.

"This step reinforces USL’s & Diageo’s commitment to continue reviewing its India enterprise portfolio to enable sustained delivery of long-term value to all its stakeholders, while keeping RCSPL’s best interest in mind," he said.

RCB was one of the founding teams of the IPL, which was founded in 2008 by its previous owner Vijay Mallya. It came into the fold of Diageo, after it took Mallya's liquor business United Spirits Ltd.

RCB, whose home ground is M Chinnaswamy Stadium, won their first title in 2025 and finished as the runners-up on three occasions -- 2009, 2011, and 2016.

Earlier, in September, some media reports had claimed that Serum Institute CEO Adar Poonawalla was in talks with USL for a possible acquisition of RCB.

Recently, in a post on X (formerly Twitter) platform, Poonawalla said, “At the right valuation, RCB is a great team,” signalling his interest in acquiring the 2025 IPL champion team.

Earlier, in May 2022 after a the strategic review of selected Popular brands, USL had sold and franchised selected brands to Inbrew Beverages.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".