Bridgetown: Australian cricketer Usman Khawaja has refused to engage with leading sports broadcaster SEN during the ongoing Test series in the Caribbean, citing the outlet’s dismissal of veteran journalist Peter Lalor earlier this year over his social media posts about the Israeli attacks on Palestine.

The incident occurred after the first day of the Test match against the West Indies, where Khawaja scored 47 runs in Australia's first innings total of 180. When approached for a post-match interview, he declined upon noticing the SEN microphone and informed reporters Adam Collins and Bharat Sundaresan of his decision.

Peter Lalor was terminated by SEN during Australia’s tour of Sri Lanka in February, after he tweeted about Israeli airstrikes and Palestinian prisoners while covering a Test in Galle. Reacting to Khawaja’s gesture, Lalor said, “Usman is a man of principle whose support I valued greatly when I was dismissed, and whose ongoing support I appreciate.”

Khawaja, who has consistently spoken out on global human rights issues, particularly the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, has previously worn a black armband during the Perth Test and attempted to wear shoes bearing the messages “freedom is a human right” and “all lives matter” during the Boxing Day Test against Pakistan. However, both Cricket Australia and the International Cricket Council (ICC) barred him from doing so.

Speaking about the controversy, Khawaja said, “It’s just a little bit disappointing. I don’t really see the controversy in saying ‘all lives matter’ or ‘freedom is a human right’. I find it hard to accept that people find those words distasteful.”

Reflecting on his stance, he added, “It’s been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster… but I’ll always stand up for what I believe in, even if people don’t agree with me. I want to look back on my career and say I stood by my values—not just for what I did on the field, but for what I stood for off it. That means more to me.”

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Unnao/Kanpur (UP) (PTI): A 65-year-old umpire died while several players were injured after a swarm of bees attacked them during a cricket match in Unnao district, police said on Thursday.

A top office-bearer of the Kanpur Cricket Association, which organised the game, confirmed the incident that took place at Sapru Maidan in the Shuklaganj area on Wednesday evening.

According to police officials, Manik Gupta from Kanpur was officiating as the umpire of the cricket match when a swarm of bees suddenly attacked the players and officials present on the ground, triggering panic. Players and spectators ran for cover to save themselves.

Eyewitnesses said Gupta sustained serious injuries in the attack and fell unconscious. He was initially taken to a private hospital in Shuklaganj and later referred to Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital in Kanpur as his condition deteriorated. Doctors at this hospital declared him dead.

Another umpire and around 15 to 20 players also suffered bee stings, police said.

In an official confirmation of the incident, S N Singh, president of the Kanpur Cricket Association, told PTI that umpire Manik Gupta died after being attacked by a swarm of bees during a cricket match in Unnao.

When Gupta was being rushed to the hospital, bees were still clinging to his face and body, Singh said, underscoring the intensity of the attack.

He conveyed heartfelt condolences on behalf of the association, stating that it stands firmly with the bereaved family in this hour of grief.