Paris: Arshad Nadeem, Pakistan's star javelin thrower, created history on Thursday night by clinching the Olympic gold medal with a record-breaking throw of 92.97 meters. This victory marks the first time Nadeem has bested his Indian counterpart, Neeraj Chopra, in their 11 encounters, adding a new chapter to their growing rivalry.

Nadeem's gold-winning performance not only set a new Olympic record but also made him the first Pakistani to win an individual Olympic gold medal. His achievement comes 36 years after boxer Hussain Shah won a bronze medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, making Nadeem the first Pakistani to secure an Olympic medal since then.

In a post on X (formerly known as Twitter), Nadeem expressed his happiness over the rivalry between him and Chopra, likening it to the famous cricket battles between India and Pakistan. He shared a picture with Chopra, captioning it with the words, "We are always natural friends," along with the flags of both nations.

"The rivalry is there when it comes to cricket matches and other sports, definitely. But at the same time, it is a good thing for youngsters in both countries who are pursuing a sport to follow us and follow their sports icons and bring laurels to their countries," Nadeem told reporters after his historic win.

Nadeem and Chopra have developed a strong friendship off the field, despite being fierce competitors on it. Their camaraderie was evident earlier this year when Nadeem made a social media appeal for funds to purchase a high-quality javelin. Chopra was among those who offered support, showcasing the bond they share.

Chopra, who entered the final as the top qualifier, secured the silver medal with a season's best throw of 89.45 meters. Nadeem, however, was the surprise of the night, with two throws exceeding 90 meters, one of which broke the previous Olympic record of 90.57 meters set by Norway's Andreas Thorkildsen at the 2008 Beijing Games.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Security was tightened across key religious and heritage sites in Delhi on Saturday, including areas around the Red Fort and parts of Chandni Chowk, following intelligence inputs suggesting a possible terror threat, an official said.

Security agencies issued an alert on a possible explosion threat near Red Fort, a major tourist destination and high-security zone, after Central intelligence agencies indicated that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has allegedly kept prominent religious places in India on its target list.

Sources said specific inputs suggested that a temple in the Chandni Chowk area could be among the potential targets.

ALSO READ:  Artificial intelligence, hologram tech bring 'Arjuna', 'Lord Krishna' at AI Summit

While the intelligence inputs are being verified and assessed, security has been stepped up in and around sensitive religious places and crowded public areas, they added.

Intelligence agencies indicated that LeT could be attempting to carry out an Improvised Explosive Device (IED)-based attack. The alleged plan is reportedly linked to attempts by the terror group to avenge the February 6 blast at a mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, sources said.

Central agencies and Delhi Police units are maintaining close coordination, and surveillance has been intensified through CCTV monitoring, vehicle checks and deployment of additional personnel at vulnerable points. Bomb disposal squads, dog squads and quick reaction teams have also been placed on standby at strategic locations, they added.

The alert comes in the backdrop of the deadly car explosion near the historic Red Fort on November 10, 2025, which killed at least 13 people and injured more than 20 others. The blast occurred when a car loaded with explosives detonated near Gate No 1 of the Red Fort metro station, igniting multiple vehicles nearby and causing panic in the densely populated area.

Security agencies have urged people to remain vigilant and immediately inform police or emergency services about any suspicious objects or activity. However, officials said there is no cause for panic and that the measures are precautionary in nature.

Further intelligence gathering and verification of inputs are underway, an official said.