New Delhi: Delhi Capitals (DC) head coach Ricky Ponting has addressed the long-standing rumor regarding his bat during the 2003 World Cup Final against India at Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg, debunking the myth surrounding its alleged spring mechanism.

Ponting was previously accused of using a spring in his bat during the title clash against India, purportedly to gain an advantage in generating more power and distance in his shots. His unbeaten 140-run knock, which included eight sixes, played a pivotal role in Australia posting a formidable total of 359/2.

Despite more than two decades passing since Australia's fourth World Cup triumph, questions about Ponting's bat persist. In 2020, the former Australian captain shared a picture of his bat used in the 2003 final, but netizens continued to inquire about the alleged spring mechanism.

In a video shared by Delhi Capitals on its social media platform, an influencer jokingly prodded Ponting to divulge details about his supposed spring bat.

Responding to the query, Ponting jokingly stated, “Yes there was spring in the bat handle. Only one bat and I only used in WC 2003 final.”

However, Ponting clarified that he never used such a bat and debunked the myth.

Reflecting on the 2003 World Cup Final, Australia convincingly defeated India by 125 runs to clinch their then-record fourth title of the prestigious tournament. After setting a commanding total of 359/2, Australia's bowling attack dismantled the Indian batting lineup, restricting them to 234 all out in 39.2 overs. Pace spearhead Glenn McGrath led the charge with three wickets, supported by Brett Lee and Andrew Symonds, who claimed two scalps each.

Virender Sehwag emerged as India's top scorer in the final, contributing 82 runs off 81 balls, while Rahul Dravid posted the second-highest score of 47.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.