Visakhapatnam, Oct 13 (PTI): Young all-rounder Shorna Akter's blistering 35-ball 51 not out lifted Bangladesh to a challenging 232 for six after a slow start against South Africa in their Women's World Cup match here on Monday.
Before the 18-year-old Shorna stepped on the accelerator, Sharmin Akhter (50 off 77 balls) and captain Nigar Sultana (32 off 42) added 77 runs for the third wicket to anchor the Bangladesh innings after a start, when the boundaries were hard to come by.
Shrona struck three sixes and as many fours, and was involved in an entertaining 37-run stand with Ritu Moni (19 not out off 8).
Earlier, with both openers Fargana Hoque (30 off 76) and Rubya Haider (25 off 52) overcautious in their approach, Bangladesh needed 16 overs to reach 50.
When Rubya sought to break free with a slog sweep against spinner Chloe Tryon, she ended up dragging the ball from outside off to Nadine de Klerk at mid-on, giving South Africa their first breakthrough.
Bangladesh suffered a big blow when their top batter Fargana was adjudged trapped in front of the wicket after she tried to paddle sweep left-arm spinner Nonkululeko Mlaba.
Confident that Fargana got an edge, the South Africans appealed for a caught behind verdict and went upstairs, but the batter was instead given out lbw after it became clear on review that there was no connection with the bat or glove and the ball was hitting the off-stump.
In came Sultana, and she straightway went back to cut Mlaba through point for a four.
Sharmin Akhter collected two boundaries off Masabata Klaas in the next over while Sultana, taking advantage of an attacking field, rocked back to slap Mlaba through covers for a four.
The Bangladesh skipper then employed the lat cut against Nadine de Klerk to get her another boundary as her team reached 100 in the 30th over.
Both Sharmin and Sultana continued to clear the ropes on and off as Bangladesh reached 150 with a boundary in the 40th over.
Shorna and Ritu Moni then propped up Bangladesh with their big hits.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
