Beirut, Lebanon: Amnesty International has called for an investigation into Israel’s attacks on ambulances, paramedics, and health facilities during its recent conflict with Hezbollah, urging that these actions be examined as potential war crimes.
The human rights organisation stated that Israel’s military had repeatedly targeted medical institutions and personnel, which are protected under international law. “The Israeli military’s repeated unlawful attacks during the war in Lebanon on health facilities, ambulances, and health workers must be investigated as war crimes,” Amnesty said.
The fighting between Israel and Hezbollah lasted for over a year, with two months of full-scale conflict that saw Israeli ground forces deployed. The hostilities effectively ended with a truce on 27 November, as reported by AFP.
During the conflict, the Israeli military alleged that Hezbollah was using ambulances operated by the Islamic Health Committee to transport fighters and weapons. However, Hezbollah denied these claims.
Amnesty International investigated four Israeli strikes on medical vehicles and facilities in Beirut and southern Lebanon between 3 and 9 October last year. The attacks resulted in the deaths of 19 medical personnel, injuries to 11 others, and the destruction of multiple ambulances and two medical facilities. The organisation stated it found no evidence that these facilities or vehicles were being used for military purposes at the time.
Lebanon’s then-health minister, Firass Abiad, reported in December that Israeli strikes had killed 16 people in 67 attacks on hospitals, including 40 direct strikes. He also noted 238 attacks on emergency response organisations, resulting in 206 deaths, and the targeting of 256 emergency vehicles, including fire trucks and ambulances.
Amnesty urged the Lebanese government to grant the International Criminal Court (ICC) jurisdiction to investigate crimes committed on Lebanese territory and ensure victims’ right to legal recourse.
The rights group said it had sent a letter detailing its findings to the Israeli military in November but had not received a response. “The Israeli military has not provided sufficient justifications or specific evidence of military targets being present at the strike locations,” Amnesty stated, adding that the repeated attacks had further weakened Lebanon’s already fragile healthcare system.
According to Lebanese authorities, the conflict resulted in over 4,000 deaths and caused widespread devastation in southern and eastern Lebanon, as well as parts of Beirut’s southern suburbs. The reconstruction costs are estimated to exceed $10 billion.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday will visit Meerut and flag off the Meerut Metro and Namo Bharat train at Shatabdi Nagar Namo Bharat station in the western Uttar Pradesh town.
From there, the prime minister will undertake a metro ride till Meerut South station and at around 1 pm, he will inaugurate and dedicate to the nation various development projects worth around Rs 12,930 crore in Meerut.
Modi will also address the gathering on the occasion, said a statement issued by the Prime Minister's Office.
The prime minister will dedicate to the nation the entire 82 Km Delhi–Meerut Namo Bharat corridor. He will inaugurate the remaining sections of India's first Namo Bharat Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS), which include the 5 km section between Sarai Kale Khan and New Ashok Nagar in Delhi and the 21 km section between Meerut South and Modipuram in Uttar Pradesh.
ALSO READ: Brahmapur railway station in Odisha to be redeveloped at Rs 93.19cr
With a design speed of 180 km per hour, Namo Bharat is India's first regional rapid transit system. It will connect major urban centres such as Sahibabad, Ghaziabad, Modinagar and Meerut with Delhi at a faster pace, the statement said.
The Sarai Kale Khan, the originating station of the corridor, is one of the four Namo Bharat stations to be commissioned with this inauguration.
It is strategically located as a major multi-modal hub, seamlessly connecting Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station, Delhi Metro's pink line, Veer Haqeeqat Rai ISBT, and the ring road. The other three Namo Bharat stations, Shatabdi Nagar, Begumpul and Modipuram, being commissioned are in Meerut.
The prime minister will also inaugurate the Meerut Metro services between Meerut South and Modipuram, operating on the same infrastructure as Namo Bharat, in a first-of-its-kind initiative in the country.
The Meerut Metro will be India's fastest metro system with a maximum operational speed of around 120 kmph. The metro will cover the entire stretch in just 30 minutes, with all scheduled stoppages en route.
This seamless integration of Namo Bharat and Meerut Metro on the same infrastructure will ensure high-speed intercity travel and swift intra-city movement, setting a benchmark for integrated urban and regional transit in India. It will decongest road traffic and consequently lead to a significant reduction in vehicular carbon dioxide emissions.
These projects will provide further impetus to the prime minister's vision of transforming urban mobility and ensuring seamless, efficient, modern and sustainable public transport systems that improve ease of living for citizens, the statement said.
