Sydney: Australian far-right Senator Pauline Hanson wore a burqa in Parliament on Monday as part of her renewed push for a public ban on the Islamic garment. The stunt drew immediate backlash from Muslim senators, who slammed it as “blatant racism."

Hanson wore the burqa shortly after she was denied permission to introduce a bill seeking to outlaw the full-body garment and other full-face coverings in public places in Australia, as reported by news agency Reuters.

It marked the second time she had used the garment, worn by several Muslim women, in parliament in an effort to ban the public wearing of burqas.

The Senate erupted in anger as she walked into the chamber wearing the burqa, and proceedings were suspended when Hanson refused to remove it.

“This is a racist senator, displaying blatant racism,” said Mehreen Faruqi, a Greens senator from the state of New South Wales. Independent senator Fatima Payman of Western Australia described the incident as “disgraceful.”

Penny Wong, leader of the centre-left Labor government in the Senate, and Anne Ruston, deputy Senate leader for the opposition coalition, both rebuked the stunt.

“The act was not worthy of a member of the Australian Senate,” Reuters quoted Wong as saying. She moved a motion to suspend Hanson for failing to remove the garment. When Hanson declined to leave the chamber, the Senate was forced to suspend proceedings.

Hanson, a Queensland senator who rose to prominence in the 1990s for her hardline views on immigration and asylum seekers, has long campaigned against Islamic clothing. In a Facebook statement after the incident, she said her actions were a protest against the Senate’s refusal to support her proposed ban.

“So if the Parliament won’t ban it, I will display this oppressive, radical, non-religious head garb that risks? Our national security and the ill-treatment of women on the floor of our parliament so that every Australian knows what’s at stake,” Hanson said in the statement. “If they don’t want me wearing it – ban the burqa,” she added.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".