Seattle, May 9 (AP): Bill Gates says he will donate 99% of his remaining tech fortune to the Gates Foundation, which will now close in 2045, earlier than previously planned. Today, that would be worth an estimated $107 billion.

The pledge is among the largest philanthropic gifts ever – outpacing the historic contributions of industrialists like John D. Rockefeller and Andrew Carnegie when adjusted for inflation. Only Berkshire Hathaway investor Warren Buffett's pledge to donate his fortune — currently estimated by Forbes at $160 billion — may be larger depending on stock market fluctuations.

Gates' donation will be delivered over time and allow the foundation to spend an additional $200 billion over the next 20 years.

“It's kind of thrilling to have that much to be able to put into these causes,” Gates said in an interview with The Associated Press.

His announcement Thursday signals both a promise of sustained support to those causes, particularly global health and education in the US, and an eventual end to the foundation's immense worldwide influence.

Gates says spending down his fortune will help save and improve many lives now, which will have positive ripple effects well beyond the foundation's closure. It also makes it more likely that his intentions are honored.

"I think 20 years is the right balance between giving as much as we can to make progress on these things and giving people a lot of notice that now this money will be gone,” Gates said.

In a league of its own

The Gates Foundation has long been peerless among foundations — attracting supporters and detractors but also numerous unfounded conspiracy theories.

In addition to the $100 billion it has spent since its founding 25 years ago, it has directed scientific research, helped develop new technologies, and nurtured long-term partnerships with countries and companies.

About 41% of the foundation's money so far has come from Warren Buffett and the rest from the fortune Gates made at Microsoft.

Started by Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates in 2000, the foundation plays a significant role in shaping global health policy and has carved out a special niche by partnering with companies to drive down the cost of medical treatments so low- and middle-income countries could afford them.

"The foundation work has been way more impactful than I expected,” Gates said, calling it his second and final career.

The foundation's influence on global health — from the World Health Organization to research agendas — is both a measure of its success and a magnet for criticism. For years, researchers have asked why a wealthy family should have so much sway over how the world improves people's health and responds to crises.

Gates said, like any private citizen, he can choose how to spend the money he earns and has decided to do everything he can to reduce childhood deaths.

“Is that a bad thing? It's not an important cause? People can criticize it,” he said, but the foundation will stick to its global health work.

The Associated Press receives financial support for news coverage in Africa from the Gates Foundation and for news coverage of women in the workforce and statehouses from Melinda French Gates' organization, Pivotal Ventures.

Major ambitions for the remaining 20 years

The foundation's most prized metric is the drop in childhood deaths from preventable causes by almost half between 2000 and 2020, according to United Nations figures. The foundation's CEO Mark Suzman is careful to say they do not take credit for this accomplishment. But he believes they had a “catalytic role” — for example, in helping deliver vaccines to children through Gavi, the vaccine alliance they helped create.

The foundation still has numerous goals — eradicating polio, controlling other deadly diseases, like malaria, and reducing malnutrition, which makes children more vulnerable to other illnesses.

Gates hopes that by spending to address these issues now, wealthy donors will be free to tackle other problems later.

The Gates Foundation had planned to wind down two decades after Gates' death, meaning today's announcement significantly moves up that timetable. Gates plans to stay engaged, though at 69, he acknowledged he may not have a say.

In its remaining two decades, the foundation will maintain a budget of around $9 billion a year, which represents a leveling off from its almost annual growth since 2006, when Buffett first started donating.

Suzman expects the foundation will narrow its focus to top priorities.

“Having that time horizon and the resources just puts an even greater burden on us to say, Are you actually putting your resources, your thumb down, on what are going to be the biggest, most successful bets rather than scattering it too thinly?'" Suzman said, which he acknowledged was creating uncertainty even within the foundation about what programs would continue.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Communist Party of India (Marxist) on Friday slammed the government for not taking action against the Indians named in the Epstein Files and demanded the removal of Minister Hardeep Singh Puri from the Union cabinet.

In a statement, the CPI(M) also slammed the government for not allowing discussion on the Epstein Files in Parliament.

The party's general secretary M A Baby accused Puri, the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, of "lying" in his press conference.

"Despite clear evidence of Hardeep Singh Puri's involvement in Epstein Files, the Union government is not allowing a discussion in Parliament," Baby said on X.

"The minister has even lied in his own press conference. He has brought disgrace to our nation. PM Narendra Modi should sack him right away!" Baby said.

The CPI(M), in its statement, said extremely "repulsive and abhorrent" content of the Epstein Files is unravelling daily and "despite the attempts of the US Department of Justice and the Trump Administration at a grand cover-up, the facts are coming out".

The Left party said there is "no iota of doubt" about the aggressive criminal nature and impunity of the network involving the power elite comprising politicians, financial overlords, tech giants and celebrities, who were part of this "criminal network of which Epstein was the chief facilitator".

Several countries are initiating concrete legal and punitive actions, the party said, citing the example of Prince Andrew being stripped of his titles and arrested in the UK.

"Several others have been forced to resign from their positions in their respective nations," it said, adding that despite clear evidence of the involvement of Puri and industrialist Anil Ambani, there was no attempt by the Union government to force an explanation and ensure accountability. 

"In the face of available evidence, Hardeep Singh Puri has been caught lying in his own press conference. Yet, instead of being sacked, he is being protected by all devious means," it said. 

The CPI(M) Polit Bureau categorically demanded that the Prime Minister remove Puri from the Union cabinet to "redeem national embarrassment and shame".

The Epstein Files are thousands of pages of documents related to two criminal investigations into sex trafficking by financier Jeffrey Epstein and his accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell, including travel logs, recordings and emails that have been a topic of conversation since Epstein died in custody in 2019.

Puri has figured in the publicly released documents, with references largely linked to his earlier diplomatic tenure and association with the International Peace Institute in New York.

The Union petroleum minister has stated that his interaction with Epstein was limited to a few professional meetings and email exchanges in the context of multilateral and institutional work. He said he had met Epstein on a "few occasions" but his interactions had nothing to do with the crimes the convicted sex offender was involved in.