London: For the first time in its 116-year history, Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service has appointed a woman to lead its foreign spying operations. Prime Minister Keir Starmer on Sunday named Blaise Metreweli as the next chief of MI6 agency founded in 1909.

Metreweli currently heads the agency’s technology and innovation division. She will officially step into her new role this autumn, succeeding Richard Moore, who led MI6 for the past five years. At 47, she becomes the only member of the organization whose identity is publicly acknowledged, assuming the post known simply as "C."

After the announcement Metreweli expressed her gratitude, “I am proud and honored to be asked to lead my Service.”

Prime Minister Starmer described the selection as “historic.” The domestic security service MI5 has previously been led by Stella Rimington and Eliza Manningham-Buller, while Anne Keast-Butler took charge of the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) in 2023.

Her predecessor, Richard Moore, who came to the role from a distinguished diplomatic career, publicly expressed hope that his successor would help advance gender equality within the intelligence services. Last year, he noted on social media that he hoped to be “the last C selected from an all-male shortlist.”

The selection process for the MI6 chief began in March when the head of the civil service invited government departments to submit nominations. Candidates from across the intelligence community, civil service, diplomatic corps, military and law enforcement were considered. Metreweli, an internal candidate with a 25-year tenure in espionage, a Cambridge University degree in anthropology and a background in cutting-edge technology. She was also a member of the women’s rowing team during her university days.

"At a time of global instability and emerging security threats, where technology is power and our adversaries are working ever closer together, Blaise will ensure the U.K. can tackle these challenges head on to keep Britain safe and secure at home and abroad," said Foreign Secretary David Lammy, who is ministerial responsible for MI6.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will visit India in the next few months, US Ambassador Sergio Gor said on Friday.

The envoy also said that the India-US trade deal is set to be inked soon.

Gor also described the Quad coalition as an important grouping for cooperation among its member states.

The envoy said India and the US are taking their bilateral ties to the next level.

Gor made the remarks on the sidelines of an event at the AI Impact Summit here.