Washington: Tech billionaire Elon Musk has expressed regret over a series of harsh social media posts directed at US President Donald Trump last week, saying his comments “went too far.”
“I regret some of my posts about President @realDonaldTrump last week. They went too far,” Musk said in a post on his social media platform X on Wednesday.
The apology comes after a public fallout between Musk and Trump that played out over several days on social media. The dispute began after Musk criticised the Congressional budget legislation, popularly referred to as the "Big Beautiful Bill," which was backed by Trump. In his comments, Musk called the bill a “disgusting abomination” and accused lawmakers of pushing a “massive, outrageous, pork-filled” spending package.
“Shame on those who voted for it: you know you did wrong,” Musk had posted on X.
Responding to Musk’s remarks, Trump expressed disappointment in the Tesla and SpaceX CEO. Speaking to reporters, Trump said, “I'm very disappointed because Elon knew the inner workings of this bill. I've helped Elon a lot.”
Following Trump’s comments, Musk launched a series of attacks against the former president on X. He even called for Trump’s impeachment in a now-deleted post and criticised Trump’s tariff-driven economic plans, predicting they would push the US into a recession later this year.
The exchange escalated further when Trump threatened to terminate federal contracts held by Musk’s companies. Posting on his own platform, Truth Social, Trump said, “The easiest way to save money in our Budget, Billions and Billions of Dollars, is to terminate Elon's Governmental Subsidies and Contracts. I was always surprised that Biden didn't do it.”
However, Trump later clarified that no action had been taken so far on that front. “I’d be allowed to do that,” Trump said, “but I haven’t given it any thought.”
Musk had reportedly been a significant financial supporter of Trump during last year’s election, with NBC News reporting that he spent over $2.5 billion to back Trump’s campaign in key states.
Despite the feud, Trump later remarked that the controversy may have worked in his favour by drawing more attention to the budget bill. “I think Elon brought out the strengths of the bill because people who weren’t as focused started focusing on it, and they see how good it is,” Trump said.
I regret some of my posts about President @realDonaldTrump last week. They went too far.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 11, 2025
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Sultanpur (UP) (PTI): Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi on Friday appeared before an MP-MLA court in Uttar Pradesh's Sultanpur and recorded his statement in a 2018 defamation case related to his remarks against Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
Gandhi told the court of Special Judge Shubham Verma that the allegations against him were made out of political malice and with an aim of destroying his image and that of his party, the Congress leader's advocate Kashi Prasad Shukla told PTI.
The court fixed March 9 as the next date of hearing on which the Lok Sabha MP from Raebareli has been asked to furnish evidence in his defence, the lawyer said.
Elaborating about the statement given by the Congress leader in the court, his lawyer said Gandhi denied all allegations levelled against him.
ALSO READ: Answer to 'abject surrender' lies in 'grips', 'chokes' placed on PM: Rahul on India-US trade deal
"The allegations are baseless and unfounded. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone. A false complaint has been filed by distorting my statement," Shukla quoted Gandhi as saying.
"The allegations have been made against me out of political malice with the aim of destroying my image and that of my party. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone," Gandhi told the court
As the Congress leader emerged from the court after recording his statement, party supporters raised slogans hailing him. Gandhi smiled and waved at the crowd before leaving.
Gandhi entered the Sultanpur court around 10.40 am and left after recording statements around 11.15 am.
Ahead of the court hearing, some local Congress leaders had put up posters in Sultanpur that read 'Satyamev Jayate' (truth always triumphs).
The case dates back to 2018 when local BJP leader and former chairman of the District Cooperative Bank Vijay Mishra had filed a defamation complaint against Gandhi, alleging that during the Karnataka elections in 2018, the Congress leader made derogatory remarks against the then BJP president and current Union Home Minister Shah.
Santosh Kumar Pandey, the lawyer representing Mishra, said the cross-examination of the plaintiff and two witnesses has been completed.
The trial has been underway for the past five years. In December 2023, a warrant was issued against Gandhi for non-appearance before the court. He surrendered in February 2024, following which a special magistrate granted him bail on two sureties of Rs 25,000 each.
On July 26, 2024, Gandhi recorded his statement before the court, claiming innocence and terming the case a political conspiracy. Thereafter, the court directed the complainant to produce evidence in the case.
