Brussels: The European Union has acknowledged “indications” that Israel may be breaching human rights obligations in Gaza, according to a confidential document leaked to The Guardian. While the document stops short of recommending sanctions, it marks a critical turning point in EU-Israel relations.

Prepared by the EU’s foreign policy service and set to be presented by foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, the document states that Israel could be in violation of Article 2 of the EU-Israel Association Agreement. That agreement, signed in 1995, forms the backbone of a €68 billion trade relationship between Israel and the 27-member bloc.

The Guardian reports that this internal paper draws upon findings by the International Court of Justice, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and other international bodies. However, it clarifies that the assessment does not reflect a formal value judgment by any EU official.

The review was initiated after 17 EU member states, including the Netherlands, a traditionally close ally of Israel raised concerns over Israel’s military actions and blockade in Gaza. Since October 2023, more than 55,600 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.

Despite EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen’s reiteration of Israel’s right to self-defense during its conflict with Iran, criticism has grown over Europe’s muted response to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. More than 100 civil society organizations, including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, recently urged the EU to suspend the agreement, warning that continued trade without action would “destroy” the EU’s credibility.

In an earlier commentary reported by The Guardian, Amnesty’s EU head Eve Geddie said the review had come “tragically, devastatingly late,” accusing Israeli forces of growing more emboldened over time.

The political divide within the EU continues to hamper decisive action. Full suspension of the agreement would require unanimity, a highly unlikely outcome due to expected vetoes from countries like Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Germany. Even partial suspensions, such as barring Israel from the Horizon research programme (from which it has received €831 million since 2021), remain uncertain.

A separate letter from eight EU countries, led by Belgium, also urged the EU to halt trade in goods from Israeli settlements in occupied Palestinian territories. That request stems from an ICJ advisory opinion last year calling on all states not to recognize Israel’s occupation as lawful.

As The Guardian highlights, the push for a policy shift gained momentum last month following mass protests in the Netherlands. The Dutch foreign minister, Casper Veldkamp, declared Israel’s blockade of Gaza to be in violation of international law and urged a reassessment of the EU-Israel agreement.

Despite these developments, internal EU disagreements persist. In statements covered by The Guardian, Kaja Kallas noted that while she sympathised with demands for action, sanctions require unanimity. “Sanctions that will not pass only highlight our lack of unity,” she said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Guwahati (PTI): Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Friday said the Centre and his government have undertaken several initiatives for development of the Barak Valley, and launch of the Vibrant Village Programme-II from Cachar is testament of the region's importance in the national landscape.

A region which was “once neglected”, now stands as an important area in Assam's development perspective and in the national Act East vision, Sarma said in a post on X.

''Today, as Adarniya @AmitShah ji is set to launch the nationwide Vibrant Village Programme-II from Cachar, it shows the region's importance in the national landscape,'' he said.

''We have placed great thrust in developing the region, and a host of initiatives are being implemented in this regard including reducing the distance between Guwahati and Silchar to just 5 hours via the upcoming Expressway. Our Double Engine Govt stands committed to do more and ensure the equitable development of both Barak and Brahmaputra valleys,'' Sarma said.

The Barak Valley comprises the districts of Cachar, Hailakandi and Sribhumi.