Social media giants Google, Meta, and TikTok have taken down accounts associated with an industrial plant in Russia's Tatarstan region, following an investigation by the Associated Press (AP) that revealed recruitment efforts targeting young foreign women for drone manufacturing. The drones produced at the plant are reportedly intended for use in Russia’s war against Ukraine.

The removed content, which was hosted on platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok, promoted a recruitment initiative called “Alabuga Start.” Posts on these platforms promised young women from Africa and South Asia free flights to Russia and monthly salaries exceeding $500. However, many recruits alleged that upon arrival at the Alabuga Special Economic Zone, their roles deviated significantly from the advertised work-study programs in hospitality or catering. Instead, they were tasked with assembling attack drones designed from Iranian models.

Several women interviewed by AP described poor working conditions, including long hours, constant surveillance, exposure to harmful chemicals, and unmet wage promises. They spoke on the condition of anonymity due to safety concerns.

In response to the AP report, Google’s YouTube stated it had terminated channels connected to the Alabuga Special Economic Zone, citing sanctions compliance. Meta also confirmed the removal of related Facebook and Instagram accounts for violating its policies, emphasizing its commitment to combating human exploitation on its platforms. TikTok similarly took down videos and accounts violating its community guidelines related to human trafficking and exploitation.

The accounts linked to Alabuga Polytechnic, a vocational boarding school training students in drone production, were also removed. The school targets Russian and Central Asian youth aged 16-22, but several students have previously raised concerns about substandard working conditions.

While the accounts on mainstream platforms have been removed, pages linked to Alabuga remain active on Telegram, which has not responded to requests for comment.The AP investigation further revealed that recruitment efforts are expanding beyond Africa, with young women from countries like Sri Lanka and Brazil being targeted. Videos previously hosted on social media depicted recruits engaging in activities such as visiting cultural landmarks, playing sports, or participating in “military-patriotic” exercises—without disclosing the true nature of their jobs.

Alabuga Start celebrated its growth on Telegram, attributing some of its success to collaborations with social media influencers, who promoted the program as an easy job opportunity for young women. However, experts estimate that around 90% of the recruits end up working in drone production facilities.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Patna (PTI): The Bihar government has decided to involve scientists and officials of various departments to tackle rising arsenic levels in leafy and root vegetables in some districts, officials said on Sunday.

The state government is also planning to launch an awareness campaign for farmers in affected areas to inform them about measures being taken by the government, Agriculture Minister Ram Kripal Yadav told PTI.

“There is no doubt that arsenic-contaminated groundwater has led to higher concentrations in leafy vegetables, root vegetables including potatoes, and other agricultural produce in certain parts of the state. It is a matter of serious concern,” Yadav said.

He said that scientists and officials from the Public Health and Engineering (PHED), Health, and Minor Water Resources departments will be engaged to curb arsenic concentration in vegetables.

According to Bihar Agriculture Department officials, arsenic concentration has been recorded at 0.1 mg per kg in leafy vegetables, 0.3 mg per kg in root vegetables including potatoes, and 1.0 mg per kg in paddy crops.

Bihar PHED Minister Sanjay Kumar Singh had recently told the state assembly that arsenic was detected in groundwater in 14 districts, fluoride in 11 districts, and iron in 12 districts.

He said in some areas, nitrate levels also exceeded prescribed standards, prompting the marking of hand pumps with red paint to warn residents against using the water for drinking purposes.

Singh told PTI that the state government is providing safe drinking water under the ‘Har Ghar Nal ka Jal’ scheme, and planning alternative measures to supply safe water to farmers for agriculture.

Regular water quality tests are being conducted, and toll-free and WhatsApp numbers have been issued to address complaints related to drinking water supply.

“The permissible limit of arsenic is 0.01 mg per litre and fluoride 1.0 mg per litre. Exceeding these limits can cause health issues like bone fluorosis and tooth decay. Arsenic purification equipment has been installed in 4,709 wards to ensure safe water,” Singh added.