New Delhi: Prominent Pakistani Journalist Hamid Mir has alleged that Indian television anchor Arnab Goswami pays Pakistani panelists to "abuse India" during debates on his channel to boost Television Rating Points (TRPs). Mir made these claims in an interview with Pakistan-based digital news outlet The Current.

During the interview, Mir recounted his early interactions with Goswami. “When Arnab Goswami was working with NDTV, around 20–22 years ago, I appeared on his show in New Delhi for the first time. Back then, he was just a journalist. After leaving NDTV and joining Times Now, he would still invite me to his shows. He used to call me and say, ‘Hamid bhai,’ and anyone who calls me ‘bhai,’ I usually oblige. So, I used to join his programs.”

Mir claimed things changed when Goswami launched Republic TV. “Later, I came to know that BJP leader Rajeev Chandrasekhar had invested in Republic TV. Many people told me that Arnab invites Pakistani intellectuals, politicians, and journalists, pays them, and instructs them to ‘abuse India’ on air.”

Mir said he personally asked some of these guests about the claim. “They told me, ‘Yes, we are paid and we abuse India.’ I asked why Goswami wanted this, and they said he gives us three minutes to bash India and then spends ten minutes bashing Pakistan. That way, his TRPs go up. That’s when I stopped appearing on his shows.”

He also recalled an incident when Goswami falsely claimed that Rawalpindi had been devastated during tensions between India and Pakistan. “I visited Rawalpindi, recorded a video, and posted it online to counter his claim. He didn’t like that,” Mir said, adding, “He is no longer a journalist, so I don’t see a reason to respond to him anymore.”

When asked about Indian journalist Barkha Dutt, Mir responded, “She has visited this office several times. She has been part of our programs too. Once, she claimed a Pakistani pilot had been arrested. I’m still waiting for her to release that photo. I’ll comment on her when she does. For now, I’m giving her some margin.”

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Sultanpur (UP) (PTI): Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi on Friday appeared before an MP-MLA court in Uttar Pradesh's Sultanpur and recorded his statement in a 2018 defamation case related to his remarks against Union Home Minister Amit Shah.

Gandhi told the court of Special Judge Shubham Verma that the allegations against him were made out of political malice and with an aim of destroying his image and that of his party, the Congress leader's advocate Kashi Prasad Shukla told PTI.

The court fixed March 9 as the next date of hearing on which the Lok Sabha MP from Raebareli has been asked to furnish evidence in his defence, the lawyer said.

Elaborating about the statement given by the Congress leader in the court, his lawyer said Gandhi denied all allegations levelled against him.

ALSO READ:  Answer to 'abject surrender' lies in 'grips', 'chokes' placed on PM: Rahul on India-US trade deal

"The allegations are baseless and unfounded. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone. A false complaint has been filed by distorting my statement," Shukla quoted Gandhi as saying.

"The allegations have been made against me out of political malice with the aim of destroying my image and that of my party. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone," Gandhi told the court

As the Congress leader emerged from the court after recording his statement, party supporters raised slogans hailing him. Gandhi smiled and waved at the crowd before leaving.

Gandhi entered the Sultanpur court around 10.40 am and left after recording statements around 11.15 am.

Ahead of the court hearing, some local Congress leaders had put up posters in Sultanpur that read 'Satyamev Jayate' (truth always triumphs).

The case dates back to 2018 when local BJP leader and former chairman of the District Cooperative Bank Vijay Mishra had filed a defamation complaint against Gandhi, alleging that during the Karnataka elections in 2018, the Congress leader made derogatory remarks against the then BJP president and current Union Home Minister Shah.

Santosh Kumar Pandey, the lawyer representing Mishra, said the cross-examination of the plaintiff and two witnesses has been completed.

The trial has been underway for the past five years. In December 2023, a warrant was issued against Gandhi for non-appearance before the court. He surrendered in February 2024, following which a special magistrate granted him bail on two sureties of Rs 25,000 each.

On July 26, 2024, Gandhi recorded his statement before the court, claiming innocence and terming the case a political conspiracy. Thereafter, the court directed the complainant to produce evidence in the case.