Hague: International Criminal Court (ICC) Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan has taken a leave of absence pending the outcome of a United Nations investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct and abuse of authority, the court confirmed on Friday.

Khan, a British barrister elected in 2021, recently made global headlines by seeking arrest warrants against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant over alleged war crimes in Gaza. His leave comes amid increasing internal pressure from senior ICC staff following the emergence of serious accusations.

The investigation, launched in November 2024 by the UN’s Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS), is examining allegations that Khan engaged in unwanted sexual contact, coercive behaviour, and abused his position of authority toward a female subordinate. Additionally, the probe is exploring claims of possible witness intimidation and retaliation against prosecution staff. Khan was reportedly questioned by OIOS investigators over two days last week.

Despite initially resisting calls to step aside, Khan has now informed the court that he will take leave until the inquiry concludes. In his absence, the ICC's two deputy prosecutors—Nazhat Shameem Khan of Fiji and Mame Mandiaye Niang of Senegal—will assume interim leadership of the Office of the Prosecutor, which oversees around 450 personnel.

The developments come at a particularly sensitive moment for the ICC, which is currently navigating politically charged investigations, including those related to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Observers have noted that the timing of the investigation into Khan has raised suspicions of political motivation, particularly following his actions against Israeli officials, though no conclusive evidence has surfaced to support such claims.

The United States, which has previously sanctioned ICC officials, is reportedly considering renewed measures in response to the court's recent actions regarding Israeli leaders. Earlier this year, former U.S. President Donald Trump imposed travel and financial restrictions on Khan.

Once the OIOS completes its investigation, the final report will be submitted to the president of the court’s governing body. If it concludes that Khan committed serious misconduct or violated his official duties, the ICC’s 125 member states will vote via secret ballot on whether he should be removed from office.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lucknow (PTI): The Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday clarified its stand on announcements from mosques for 'sehri' and 'iftar' during Ramzan, saying the practice dates back to a time when clocks were not widely in use, and that the Supreme Court orders on use of loudspeakers remained in force.

Samajwadi Party member Kamal Akhtar raised the issue during Zero Hour in the Assembly, saying since festivals of all religions, including Holi, Diwali, Dussehra, Kanwar Yatra as well as Christian and Sikh celebrations, are observed in the state, mosques should be allowed to use loudspeakers for making announcements during the holy month of Ramzan that commenced on Thursday.

Akhtar said brief announcements are traditionally made from the mosques to inform people observing fast about the timings of ‘sehri’ (pre-dawn meal) and ‘iftar’ (meal to break the fast).

He also claimed that the government recently removed loudspeakers from most religious places, and urged it to permit mosque announcements during Ramzan to provide relief to people.

The Supreme Court prohibits the use of loudspeakers, public address systems, and sound-producing instruments from 10 pm to 6 am, except in closed premises such as auditoriums, conference rooms, and banquet halls for internal communication.

Responding to Akhtar, Finance and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Suresh Kumar Khanna said the Supreme Court has clearly directed that loudspeakers should not be used after 10 pm.

Even at weddings, police ensure compliance if complaints are received about loudspeakers being used beyond the stipulated time, he said.

Referring to the tradition of mosque announcements for ‘sehri’ and ‘iftar’, Khanna said the practice originated when clocks were not common and people estimated time by the position of the sun.

“Today, almost every person – whether a rickshaw puller, street vendor or vegetable seller – has a mobile phone that shows time. So the necessity is no longer there,” he said.

While the government does not interfere in anyone's religious beliefs, the Supreme Court has laid down the rules on the use of loudspeakers, and “it is not our order”, the minister said.

Claiming that the apex court order relates to sound levels and does not prohibit the use of loudspeakers, Akhtar urged the minister to allow the announcements during Ramzan.

The minister, however, did not offer any further reply.