Islamabad (PTI): A leader of jailed former premier Imran Khan's Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf has invited External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar to "join" the party in its protest in Islamabad against the country's government.
Jaishankar will attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation's Council of Heads of Government (SCO-CHG) meeting in Pakistan on October 15 and 16.
Advisor to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister on Information, Muhammad Ali Saif, while speaking on a Geo News programme on Friday, invited Jaishankar to participate in the protest by the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI).
“PTI will invite Jaishankar, Indian External Affairs Minister, to come and join PTI’s protest and speak to our people and see that Pakistan is a strong democracy where everyone has a right to protest,” Saif said in response to a question.
Saif also said the foreign delegations would be happy to see the party protest.
The PTI has been staging protests, claiming that the government should adhere to the constitution and pressing for the judiciary's independence.
It is also demanding the release of its 72-year-old founder Khan who has been kept in jail for more than a year.
Khan has been in jail since his arrest on August 5, 2023. Facing dozens of cases, he has been convicted in a few of them.
On Saturday, Pakistan Army troops were deployed in Islamabad to ensure security ahead of the protest called by Khan at the D-Chowk. The army would remain in the city from October 5-17 to maintain law and order for the upcoming SCO.
The authorities have taken strict measures to stop the PTI from entering Islamabad, blocking all highways leading to the city, banning pillion riding and suspending mobile phone services.
Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, which bans public gatherings, political assemblies, and demonstrations, has also been imposed in the twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad to outlaw any political assembly or protest.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lucknow (PTI): Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday accused the BJP government of "playing" with his security and sought an explanation for the withdrawal of the National Security Guard (NSG) cover provided to him.
In a statement issued from the SP headquarters here, the former chief minister said the government must clarify the reasons cited in his security cover review that led to the withdrawal.
"The BJP government is playing with my security. I had NSG security, but it was withdrawn. The government should have disclosed why," Yadav said, alleging that security decisions were being politicised.
Yadav also referred to the withdrawal of SPG protection for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, claiming that the BJP government had earlier removed his cover and made him vacate his official residence.
Speaking to reporters during his day-long visit to Jhansi, Yadav accused the BJP of "insulting everyone", including a Shankaracharya and students at the Magh Mela in Prayagraj.
"They pulled the 'shikha' (tuft of hair) of our 'batuks' and humiliated them. The chief minister is constantly insulting Shankaracharya. He is demanding certificates from him," Yadav said, adding that Yogi Adityanath should apologise for his actions
A "true yogi" empathises with people's suffering, he said, and alleged that the government instead celebrates bulldozing houses. He further claimed that the chief minister does not respect the Constitution and law, and cited cases mentioned in Adityanath's 2017 election affidavit to attack him.
"No other chief minister has faced as many cases as the current chief minister," the SP chief said in the statement.
