New York (PTI): In a historic development for the Indian diaspora, California has designated Diwali as an official state holiday, becoming the third state in the US to officially recognise the Indian festival of lights as a holiday.

California Governor Gavin Newsom Tuesday announced that he has signed a bill by Assembly member Ash Kalra designating Diwali as a state holiday.

In September, the bill titled ‘AB 268'to designate Diwali as an official state holiday had successfully passed both houses of the legislature in California and was awaiting final action by Newsom. 

“California is home to the largest population of Indian Americans, and designating Diwali as an official state holiday will uplift its message to the hundreds of thousands of Californians that celebrate and help introduce it to many throughout our diverse state,” Kalra had said last month. 

“Diwali brings communities together with the message of goodwill, peace, and shared sense of renewal. California should embrace Diwali and its diversity, not keep it hidden in darkness,” he added.

In October 2024, Pennsylvania became the first state to officially recognise Diwali as a state holiday, followed by Connecticut this year. In New York City, Diwali has been declared a holiday for public schools.

Community leaders and leading diaspora organisations welcomed California’s announcement of designating Diwali a state holiday.

Nonprofit organisation Indiaspora said that with California, the most populous state in the nation, officially recognising Diwali, “Indian Americans celebrate a major milestone in the ongoing journey toward greater cultural inclusion and visibility. This recognition reflects not just the vibrancy of Diwali, but the enduring impact of the Indian American community across the United States.”

Indiaspora Founder and Chairman MR Rangaswami said in a statement that this historic decision honours generations of Indian Americans who have contributed to California’s growth and success. 

“Governor Newsom’s leadership reflects the inclusive spirit our nation needs today. Recognising Diwali as a state holiday affirms that diversity is truly our strength,” Rangaswami said as he congratulated Kalra and Assembly member Dr Darshana Patel, the joint-authors of the bill.  

Hailing the “landmark legislation” as a “historic" moment for Indian-Americans, especially in California, Indiaspora said this is a “powerful recognition of the community’s rich cultural heritage and longstanding contributions to the Golden State.”

“For the more than one million Indian Americans who call California home, this is a moment of immense pride and joy. Indian Americans have been instrumental in shaping California’s vibrant and diverse landscape—contributing to the economy, serving in government, enriching the arts, sciences, and civic life, and uplifting communities across the state,” the organisation said, adding that California, in turn, has welcomed the community with open arms. 

“Declaring Diwali a state holiday affirms that Indian Americans are not just participants in California’s story—they are woven into the very fabric of its identity,” it said.

Indiaspora noted that New York City took a “groundbreaking” step by mandating public school closures for Diwali, with November 1, 2024, marking the first time schools were officially closed for the festival. Several school districts across New York State, beyond New York City, will also observe Diwali as an official holiday.

Prominent Silicon Valley entrepreneur, philanthropist and former advisor to President Joe Biden, Ajay Bhutoria, said the announcement is a “radiant milestone” in California’s journey toward true inclusivity and cultural celebration. 

“Diwali, our cherished Festival of Lights, embodies the eternal victory of hope over hardship, unity over division, and knowledge over ignorance—a message that resonates deeply with the nearly one million South Asians who call California home and contribute immensely to its innovation, economy, and spirit,” Bhutoria said.

He added that this recognition is more than a holiday. “It’s a powerful affirmation of the Indian diaspora’s enduring legacy in the Golden State. From tech trailblazers in Silicon Valley to healthcare heroes in Southern California, our community has woven threads of resilience and diversity into the fabric of American excellence,” Bhutoria added.

By granting state employees paid time off and empowering schools to observe this sacred day, the legislation ensures families can fully embrace traditions like lighting Diyas, making Rangoli, and sharing stories of renewal—without the shadows of work or deadlines, he said.

Bhutoria expressed gratitude to Newsom, Kalra and Patel and said, “Your advocacy has not only brightened Diwali for generations but also inspired a nation to celebrate our shared light."

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.

Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.

According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.


“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.

Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.

Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.

The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.

After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.