An Indiana father has been sentenced to 16 years in prison for neglect after the horrifying discovery of his infant son covered in over 50 rat bites. The child, severely injured and permanently disfigured, was found in the family's home in a pool of blood, according to Fox 59.
According to local reports, the Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS) had visited the home just days earlier, following complaints from two of the couple's older children, who told their teachers that "mice bit their toes while they were sleeping." During the visit, the child’s aunt, DelainaThurman had dismissed the concerns, claiming the marks were merely scratches from the bed frame.
The incident occurred in 2023, when police responded to a distress call from David Schonabaum, the father, who reported finding his six-month-old son bleeding heavily. Upon arrival, authorities discovered the baby with severe injuries, including rat bites on his forehead, cheek, and nose. Medical professionals later confirmed that the injuries would likely result in permanent disfigurement.
Prosecutors argued that the father had repeatedly ignored warnings from DCS over the past two years to improve the living conditions in the home, which was described as "unclean, unsanitary, and rat-infested." They stressed the devastating impact of his neglect, highlighting the child’s lifelong disfigurement as a direct consequence of his failure to address the dangerous environment.
The infant’s mother, Angel Schonabaum, has recently accepted a plea deal and is awaiting sentencing in the coming weeks.
Meanwhile, Thurman, who also lived in the home, received a probationary sentence for her role in the case.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lucknow (PTI): Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday accused the BJP government of "playing" with his security and sought an explanation for the withdrawal of the National Security Guard (NSG) cover provided to him.
In a statement issued from the SP headquarters here, the former chief minister said the government must clarify the reasons cited in his security cover review that led to the withdrawal.
"The BJP government is playing with my security. I had NSG security, but it was withdrawn. The government should have disclosed why," Yadav said, alleging that security decisions were being politicised.
Yadav also referred to the withdrawal of SPG protection for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, claiming that the BJP government had earlier removed his cover and made him vacate his official residence.
Speaking to reporters during his day-long visit to Jhansi, Yadav accused the BJP of "insulting everyone", including a Shankaracharya and students at the Magh Mela in Prayagraj.
"They pulled the 'shikha' (tuft of hair) of our 'batuks' and humiliated them. The chief minister is constantly insulting Shankaracharya. He is demanding certificates from him," Yadav said, adding that Yogi Adityanath should apologise for his actions
A "true yogi" empathises with people's suffering, he said, and alleged that the government instead celebrates bulldozing houses. He further claimed that the chief minister does not respect the Constitution and law, and cited cases mentioned in Adityanath's 2017 election affidavit to attack him.
"No other chief minister has faced as many cases as the current chief minister," the SP chief said in the statement.
