Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described indirect nuclear negotiations with the United States in Oman as “much more serious and frank,” even as President Masoud Pezeshkian categorically rejected Washington’s demand for Tehran to dismantle its nuclear infrastructure.

The ongoing talks, facilitated by Oman and held in Muscat, are part of renewed efforts to revive the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which the US unilaterally exited in 2018 during former President Donald Trump’s administration. Since then, Iran has gradually reduced its compliance with the deal.

Speaking to Iran’s state broadcaster IRIB after the fourth round of negotiations, Araghchi said the discussions had progressed from general outlines to more detailed proposals. “They are forward-moving, but the issues have become more complex,” he noted. Both delegations have agreed to continue the dialogue.

The latest session lasted nearly three hours and followed earlier meetings in Muscat on April 12 and 26, and in Rome on April 19.

However, the diplomatic progress was tempered by President Pezeshkian’s firm rejection of US demands. “This is unacceptable. Iran will not relinquish its peaceful nuclear rights,” he stated, reaffirming that the country’s nuclear program is intended for civilian applications only. He also cited a religious fatwa by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, which prohibits the development of nuclear weapons.

Ahead of the Muscat talks, US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff had reiterated demands for Iran to completely dismantle nuclear facilities at Natanz, Fordow, and Isfahan. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has also suggested Iran import enriched uranium instead of producing it domestically.

President Pezeshkian defended Iran’s nuclear activities, calling them vital for peaceful industries such as medicine, agriculture, and energy. “We are serious in the negotiations and seek an agreement. We hold talks because we want peace,” he added, emphasising Tehran’s commitment to regional stability and dialogue.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Washington (AP): The Supreme Court struck down President Donald Trump's far-reaching global tariffs on Friday, handing him a significant loss on an issue crucial to his economic agenda.

The 6-3 decision centres on tariffs imposed under an emergency powers law, including the sweeping “reciprocal” tariffs he levied on nearly every other country.

It's the first major piece of Trump's broad agenda to come squarely before the nation's highest court, which he helped shape with the appointments of three conservative jurists in his first term.

The majority found that the Constitution “very clearly” gives Congress the power to impose taxes, which include tariffs. “The Framers did not vest any part of the taxing power in the Executive Branch,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote.

Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh dissented.

“The tariffs at issue here may or may not be wise policy. But as a matter of text, history, and precedent, they are clearly lawful,” Kavanaugh wrote in the dissent.

The majority did not address whether companies could get refunded for the billions they have collectively paid in tariffs. Many companies, including the big-box warehouse chain Costco, have already lined up for refunds in court, and Kavanaugh noted the process could be complicated.

“The Court says nothing today about whether, and if so how, the Government should go about returning the billions of dollars that it has collected from importers. But that process is likely to be a mess,' as was acknowledged at oral argument,” he wrote.

The tariffs decision doesn't stop Trump from imposing duties under other laws. While those have more limitations on the speed and severity of Trump's actions, top administration officials have said they expect to keep the tariff framework in place under other authorities.

The Supreme Court ruling comes despite a series of short-term wins on the court's emergency docket that have allowed Trump to push ahead with extraordinary flexes of executive power on issues ranging from high-profile firings to major federal funding cuts.

The Republican president has been vocal about the case, calling it one of the most important in US history and saying a ruling against him would be an economic body blow to the country. But legal opposition crossed the political spectrum, including libertarian and pro-business groups that are typically aligned with the GOP. Polling has found tariffs aren't broadly popular with the public, amid wider voter concern about affordability.

The Constitution gives Congress the power to levy tariffs. But the Trump administration argued that a 1977 law allowing the president to regulate importation during emergencies also allows him to set tariffs. Other presidents have used the law dozens of times, often to impose sanctions, but Trump was the first president to invoke it for import taxes.

Trump set what he called "reciprocal" tariffs on most countries in April 2025 to address trade deficits that he declared a national emergency. Those came after he imposed duties on Canada, China and Mexico, ostensibly to address a drug trafficking emergency.

A series of lawsuits followed, including a case from a dozen largely Democratic-leaning states and others from small businesses selling everything from plumbing supplies to educational toys to women's cycling apparel.

The challengers argued the emergency powers law doesn't even mention tariffs and Trump's use of it fails several legal tests, including one that doomed then-President Joe Biden's USD 500 billion student loan forgiveness program.

The economic impact of Trump's tariffs has been estimated at some USD 3 trillion over the next decade, according to the Congressional Budget Office. The Treasury has collected more than USD 133 billion from the import taxes the president has imposed under the emergency powers law, federal data from December shows.