Tehran: Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has accused former US President Donald Trump of lying about using American power to promote peace, describing the claim as "a disgrace" to both Trump and the American nation. Khamenei made the remarks during a public event with teachers in Tehran on Saturday, as reported by Iran’s state news agency IRNA.
Referring to Trump’s recent statements during a tour of West Asia, Khamenei said: “Trump said he wants to use power for peace; he lied. He and other US officials have used power to support killings in Gaza and to spread warmongering wherever possible.”
The Iranian leader also reiterated his long-standing hostility towards Israel, labeling it “the Zionist regime” and “a dangerous and malignant cancerous tumour in this region that must and will be uprooted.”
Khamenei expressed confidence that the United States would eventually be forced to withdraw from the region, citing the resolve of regional nations. His comments were published on his official website and carried by various state-linked media outlets, including China’s Xinhua news agency.
Earlier in the week, Trump visited Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates as part of a regional tour. In Riyadh, he criticized Iran as “the most destructive force” in the Middle East and pledged to prevent it from acquiring nuclear weapons.
Trump also signaled he would not return to the terms of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, from which he withdrew in 2018. In response, Iran began rolling back its compliance with the accord.
Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi reaffirmed on Saturday that while Iran will not abandon its right to a peaceful nuclear programme, it remains committed to sincere negotiations with the US. Both countries have engaged in four rounds of indirect talks, with mediation efforts led by Oman.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lucknow (PTI): The Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday clarified its stand on announcements from mosques for 'sehri' and 'iftar' during Ramzan, saying the practice dates back to a time when clocks were not widely in use, and that the Supreme Court orders on use of loudspeakers remained in force.
Samajwadi Party member Kamal Akhtar raised the issue during Zero Hour in the Assembly, saying since festivals of all religions, including Holi, Diwali, Dussehra, Kanwar Yatra as well as Christian and Sikh celebrations, are observed in the state, mosques should be allowed to use loudspeakers for making announcements during the holy month of Ramzan that commenced on Thursday.
Akhtar said brief announcements are traditionally made from the mosques to inform people observing fast about the timings of ‘sehri’ (pre-dawn meal) and ‘iftar’ (meal to break the fast).
He also claimed that the government recently removed loudspeakers from most religious places, and urged it to permit mosque announcements during Ramzan to provide relief to people.
The Supreme Court prohibits the use of loudspeakers, public address systems, and sound-producing instruments from 10 pm to 6 am, except in closed premises such as auditoriums, conference rooms, and banquet halls for internal communication.
Responding to Akhtar, Finance and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Suresh Kumar Khanna said the Supreme Court has clearly directed that loudspeakers should not be used after 10 pm.
Even at weddings, police ensure compliance if complaints are received about loudspeakers being used beyond the stipulated time, he said.
Referring to the tradition of mosque announcements for ‘sehri’ and ‘iftar’, Khanna said the practice originated when clocks were not common and people estimated time by the position of the sun.
“Today, almost every person – whether a rickshaw puller, street vendor or vegetable seller – has a mobile phone that shows time. So the necessity is no longer there,” he said.
While the government does not interfere in anyone's religious beliefs, the Supreme Court has laid down the rules on the use of loudspeakers, and “it is not our order”, the minister said.
Claiming that the apex court order relates to sound levels and does not prohibit the use of loudspeakers, Akhtar urged the minister to allow the announcements during Ramzan.
The minister, however, did not offer any further reply.
