Deir Al-Balah (Gaza Strip) (AP): Israel launched airstrikes across the Gaza Strip early Tuesday, killing at least 326 Palestinians, including women and children, according to hospital officials.
The surprise bombardment shattered a ceasefire in place since January and threatened to fully reignite the 17-month-old war.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the strikes after Hamas refused Israeli demands to change the ceasefire agreement. Officials said the operation was open-ended and was expected to expand. The White House said it had been consulted and voiced support for Israel's actions.
The Israeli military ordered people to evacuate eastern Gaza, including much of the northern town of Beit Hanoun and other communities further south, and head toward the centre of the territory, indicating that Israel could soon launch renewed ground operations.
“Israel will, from now on, act against Hamas with increasing military strength,” Netanyahu's office said.
The attack during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan could resume a war that has already killed tens of thousands of Palestinians and caused widespread destruction across Gaza. It also raised questions about the fate of the roughly two dozen Israeli hostages held by Hamas who are believed to still be alive.
A senior Hamas official said Netanyahu's decision to return to war amounts to a “death sentence” for the remaining hostages. Izzat al-Risheq accused Netanyahu of launching the strikes to try and save his far-right governing coalition and called on mediators to “reveal facts” on who broke the truce. Hamas said at least four senior officials were killed in Tuesday's strikes.
There were no reports of any attacks by Hamas several hours after the bombardment, indicating it still hoped to restore the truce.
The strikes came as Netanyahu comes under mounting domestic pressure, with mass protests planned over his handling of the hostage crisis and his decision to fire the head of Israel's internal security agency. His latest testimony in a long-running corruption trial was cancelled after the strikes.
The main group representing families of the captives accused the government of backing out of the ceasefire, saying it “chose to give up on the hostages.”
“We are shocked, angry and terrified by the deliberate dismantling of the process to return our loved ones from the terrible captivity of Hamas,” the Hostages and Missing Families Forum said in a statement.
Wounded stream into Gaza hospitals
A strike on a home in the southern city of Rafah killed 17 members of one family, including at least 12 women and children, according to the European Hospital, which received the bodies. The dead included five children, their parents, and another father and his three children.
In the southern city of Khan Younis, Associated Press reporters saw explosions and plumes of smoke. Ambulances brought wounded people to Nasser Hospital, where patients lay on the floor, some screaming. A young girl cried as her bloody arm was bandaged.
Many Palestinians said they had expected a return to war when talks over the second phase of the ceasefire did not begin as scheduled in early February. Israel instead embraced an alternative proposal and cut off all shipments of food, fuel and other aid to the territory's 2 million Palestinians to try to pressure Hamas to accept it.
“Nobody wants to fight,” Palestinian resident Nidal Alzaanin told the AP by phone from Gaza City. "Everyone is still suffering from the previous months,” he said.
Gaza's Health Ministry said at least 326 people were killed in the strikes and hundreds more wounded. Rescuers were still searching the rubble for dead and wounded as the strikes continued. It was among the deadliest days of the war.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Meerut: The murder of Merchant Navy officer Saurabh Rajput in Meerut has sparked a political debate after Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Deepak Ranjan presented a blue drum to Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Brajesh Pathak at an event in Lucknow on Tuesday. The gesture, captured in viral images, was seen as a jibe at the state’s law and order situation.
Rajput’s wife, Muskan Rastogi, confessed to killing him with the help of her lover, Sahil Shukla. The duo dismembered Rajput’s body and concealed it in a blue drum filled with cement. The crime has turned the blue drum into a chilling symbol, widely referenced in memes and social media discussions.
SP leader Ranjan’s act of gifting a blue drum has ignited debate over governance and security in Uttar Pradesh. The move, made during the ‘Lantrani Hasya Utsav’ event in Lucknow, has further intensified political discourse.
The case has also affected sales of blue drums, particularly in Meerut and Aligarh, where shopkeepers report a decline due to public apprehension. Some sellers have urged people not to stigmatise the item.
Muskan Rastogi and Sahil Shukla remain in jail, facing trial for the gruesome murder.
Fogg से भी ज़्यादा चलने वाला आइटम ये नीला ड्रम ही है । अब तो लोग उप मुख्यमंत्री तक को गिफ्ट कर रहे है
— Amrish Srivastava🇮🇳 (@amrishsonu) April 2, 2025
सपा प्रवक्ता दीपक रंजन ने DCM ब्रजेश पाठक को नीला ड्रम भेंट किये... @brajeshpathakup @DeepakRanjanSP @yadavakhilesh pic.twitter.com/2axEC2XEKt