New Delhi: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has sparked widespread criticism after describing the postponement of his son's wedding as a “personal cost” of the ongoing conflict with Iran. The remarks, made against the backdrop of missile strikes and civilian casualties, have drawn backlash online and from families affected by the war.
Speaking near the Soroka Hospital in Be’er Sheva, which was recently hit by Iranian missiles, Netanyahu said, “Each of us bears a personal cost, and my family has not been exempt. This is the second time that my son Avner has cancelled a wedding due to missile threats. It is a personal cost for his fiancée as well, and I must say that my dear wife is a hero.”
He further likened the situation in Israel to the British Blitz during World War II, saying, “It really reminds me of the British people during the Blitz. We are going through a blitz.”
Netanyahu’s remarks were met with fierce condemnation online, with critics accusing him of equating a delayed wedding with the suffering of civilians and soldiers killed in the war. Among the voices was Anat Angrest, the mother of Matan, an Israeli captive held in Gaza since the October 7, 2023 Hamas attack. “I have been in the hellish dungeons of Gaza for 622 days now,” she wrote on social media, expressing outrage at Netanyahu’s focus.
The wedding of Avner Netanyahu was originally planned for November 2024 but was postponed due to security concerns. It was rescheduled for June 16, but once again delayed amid rising tensions and anti-government protests.
Since Israel launched Operation “Rising Lion” on June 13 targeting Iran’s nuclear infrastructure, the conflict has escalated rapidly. Iran responded with retaliatory missile strikes, including the use of cluster munitions, a first in the current conflict, one of which damaged the Soroka Hospital.
At least 24 Israeli civilians have been killed so far, while Iran has reported over 200 fatalities. The war has now entered its eighth day with no signs of de-escalation.
Meanwhile, the White House has confirmed that US President Donald Trump will decide within two weeks whether to intervene militarily in the Iran-Israel conflict. Officials warned that Iran could be weeks away from building a nuclear bomb, depending on decisions by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.
A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.
It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.
As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."
"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.
The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.
The court listed the matter for hearing next week.
Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.
In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.
The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.
The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.
The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.
The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.
The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.
