Beirut, Nov 16: Israeli ground forces reached their deepest point in Lebanon since they invaded six weeks ago before pulling back Saturday after battles with Hezbollah group, Lebanese state media reported.

The clashes and further Israeli bombardment of Beirut's southern suburbs, a Hezbollah stronghold, came as Lebanese and Hezbollah officials study a draft proposal presented by the U.S. earlier this week on ending the war.

Israeli troops captured a strategic hill in the southern Lebanese village of Chamaa, about 5 kilometers (3 miles) from the Israeli border, the state-run National News Agency reported. It said the troops were later pushed back.

The agency added that Israeli troops blew up the Shrine of Shimon the Prophet in Chamaa as well as several homes before they withdrew, but the claim could not be immediately verified.

Israel's military did not immediately respond to requests for comment but said in a statement that its troops “continue their limited, localized and targeted operational activity in southern Lebanon.”

Israeli warplanes pounded Beirut's southern suburbs known as Dahiyeh as well as several other areas in southern Lebanon including the port city of Tyre. Israel's military said its planes hit multiple sites used by the group. Residents were given advance warning by Israel. There were no immediate reports of casualties.

Since late September, Israel has dramatically escalated its bombardment of Lebanon, vowing to cripple the Iranian-backed Hezbollah and end its barrages in Israel that the group have said are in solidarity with Palestinians during the war in Gaza. Israel said Hezbollah fired more than 60 projectiles into Israel on Saturday but gave no details.

More than 3,400 people have been killed in Lebanon by Israeli fire — 80% of them in the past eight weeks — according to Lebanon's Health Ministry. Israel has said it wants to ensure that thousands of Israelis can return to their homes near the border with Lebanon.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chitradurga (Karnataka) (PTI): Two persons were killed and an equal number of them were seriously injured in a hit-and-run accident near Pattarehalli village in Chitradurga district, police said on Sunday.

The accident occurred on late Saturday.

An unidentified vehicle crashed into four persons who were standing by the roadside after their car broke down.

"Four persons had stopped their vehicle due to a breakdown and were repairing when an unidentified vehicle crashed into them," a police officer said.

According to police, two persons died on the spot, while the other two sustained grievous injuries and were shifted to a nearby hospital for treatment.

"The driver fled the scene along with the vehicle immediately after the accident," the officer added.

A case has been registered at the Hiriyur Rural Police Station and efforts are on to trace the vehicle and its driver.