Jerusalem, Jan 21 (AP): Israel's top general resigned on Tuesday, citing the security and intelligence failures related to Hamas' surprise attack that triggered the war in the Gaza Strip.
Israel meanwhile launched a large operation in the occupied West Bank, killing at least six people, according to Palestinian officials.
Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi is the most senior Israeli figure to resign over the security breakdown on October 7, 2023, when thousands of Hamas-led members carried out a land, sea and air assault into southern Israel, rampaging through army bases and nearby communities for hours.
The attack killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and the group abducted another 250. More than 90 captives are still being held in Gaza, around a third of whom are believed to be dead.
Halevi's resignation came just says into a fragile ceasefire with Hamas that could lead to an end to the war and the return of the remaining captives.
Maj. Gen. Yaron Finkelman, head of Israel's Southern Command, which oversees operations in Gaza, also tendered his resignation.
The resignation of the two senior generals will likely add to calls for a public inquiry into the October 7 failures, something Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu — whose leadership could be implicated — has said must wait until the war is over.
Halevi had also appeared to be at odds with Israel's new defence minister, Israel Katz, over the direction of the war, with Halevi saying Israel had accomplished most of its goals and Katz echoing Netanyahu's vow to keep fighting until “total victory” over Hamas.
In his letter of resignation, Halevi said the military, under his command, had “failed in its mission to defend the State of Israel" when Hamas attacked but had made “significant achievements” in the ensuing war, which rippled across the Middle East.
Halevi, who began what was meant to be a three-year term in January 2023 said his resignation would go into effect March 6.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Etah (UP) (PTI): A 53-year-old inmate lodged in the Etah district jail died on Saturday while undergoing treatment for chest pain, a jail official said.
According to the Jail Superintendent, Ankeshita Srivastava, Jitendra alias Bhura, a resident of Bijauri village in Kotwali Dehat area of the district, complained of severe left chest pain and high blood pressure on Saturday morning.
When his condition worsened, at around 10.35 am, he was admitted to Etah's Veerangana Avantibai Lodhi Autonomous State Medical College (VALASMC), where he was declared dead at around 10.45 am, she said.
The deceased inmate was lodged in the district jail on April 7, last year, and was serving a life sentence in a case of murder. In addition, two other cases were pending against him, the Jail Superintendent said.
His family has been informed about the incident, she added.
Police have sent the body for a post-mortem, and an investigation is underway, the officer said.
Further action will be taken upon the receipt of the report, she added.
