Tokyo: Japan has decided not to recognise a Palestinian state for now, opting instead to continue its review of the issue amid pressure from both allies and international partners.

According to a report in the Asahi Shimbun, Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba will skip a United Nations General Assembly meeting this month that will focus on Palestinian statehood. The decision, citing unnamed government sources, underscores Japan’s cautious stance.

Japan’s position currently aligns with the United States, which has rejected calls for recognition. This contrasts with several Group of Seven (G7) members, including France, Britain, Canada, and Australia, which have announced plans to recognise Palestine during the UN assembly to step up pressure on Israel. In contrast, Germany and Italy have described immediate recognition as “counterproductive.”

The Asahi report suggested that Japan’s decision was influenced by its efforts to maintain strong ties with the United States and avoid provoking a harder stance from Israel. U.S. officials reportedly urged Tokyo not to proceed with recognition, while France’s Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot lobbied Japan to support the move, Kyodo news agency reported last week.

Foreign Minister Takeshi Iwaya confirmed on Tuesday that Japan was conducting “a comprehensive assessment, including appropriate timing and modalities, of the issue of recognising Palestinian statehood.” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi echoed this statement on Wednesday when asked about the report.

Despite holding back on recognition, Hayashi voiced grave concern over Israel’s military operations in Gaza, warning that “the very foundations of a two-state solution could be collapsing.” He urged Israel to take steps to end the worsening humanitarian crisis, including famine.

At a UN session last Friday, Japan voted in favour of a declaration calling for “tangible, timebound, and irreversible steps” toward a two-state solution. However, Prime Minister Ishiba is expected to skip the related meeting on September 22 in New York. 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Unnao/Kanpur (UP) (PTI): A 65-year-old umpire died while several players were injured after a swarm of bees attacked them during a cricket match in Unnao district, police said on Thursday.

A top office-bearer of the Kanpur Cricket Association, which organised the game, confirmed the incident that took place at Sapru Maidan in the Shuklaganj area on Wednesday evening.

According to police officials, Manik Gupta from Kanpur was officiating as the umpire of the cricket match when a swarm of bees suddenly attacked the players and officials present on the ground, triggering panic. Players and spectators ran for cover to save themselves.

Eyewitnesses said Gupta sustained serious injuries in the attack and fell unconscious. He was initially taken to a private hospital in Shuklaganj and later referred to Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital in Kanpur as his condition deteriorated. Doctors at this hospital declared him dead.

Another umpire and around 15 to 20 players also suffered bee stings, police said.

In an official confirmation of the incident, S N Singh, president of the Kanpur Cricket Association, told PTI that umpire Manik Gupta died after being attacked by a swarm of bees during a cricket match in Unnao.

When Gupta was being rushed to the hospital, bees were still clinging to his face and body, Singh said, underscoring the intensity of the attack.

He conveyed heartfelt condolences on behalf of the association, stating that it stands firmly with the bereaved family in this hour of grief.