Almaty: Kazakhstan is voting in a referendum today to decide whether to construct its first nuclear power plant, a proposal pushed by President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev's government to phase out the country’s reliance on coal-powered energy.
Despite the government's emphasis on nuclear power as a step towards sustainable energy and economic progress, the proposal has been met with public skepticism due to safety concerns, the Soviet nuclear testing legacy, and apprehensions about Russia’s involvement.
Prominent blogger Vadim Boreiko expressed doubts about the referendum, suggesting that the decision to build the plant in collaboration with Russia's state nuclear firm, Rosatom, may have already been made and that the vote is merely a formality.
Kazakhstan, a country of 20 million people with abundant natural gas reserves, currently relies heavily on aging coal-powered plants and imports electricity from Russia to meet its energy needs. The government argues that nuclear power, given the country’s status as one of the world’s largest uranium producers, would be a logical addition to its energy mix, alongside growing renewable sources like wind and solar power.
The cabinet estimates that constructing the nuclear power plant would cost between $10 billion and $12 billion. However, critics advocate for alternatives like gas-powered plants, which, while still reliant on fossil fuels, are less harmful to the environment and present fewer risks compared to nuclear facilities.
The country's history with nuclear energy includes the 1986 Chornobyl disaster and numerous Soviet nuclear weapon tests, which have left a lasting impact on public health and have caused widespread distrust towards anything related to nuclear energy.
President Tokayev, addressing these concerns, emphasised the need to focus on future developments instead of lingering on past tragedies, stating, “We must move forward and be optimistic; otherwise, we will lag behind in this global race to progress.”
The outcome of the referendum will determine whether Kazakhstan takes its first step towards nuclear energy amidst ongoing debates over the potential risks and benefits of the project.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lucknow (PTI): Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday accused the BJP government of "playing" with his security and sought an explanation for the withdrawal of the National Security Guard (NSG) cover provided to him.
In a statement issued from the SP headquarters here, the former chief minister said the government must clarify the reasons cited in his security cover review that led to the withdrawal.
"The BJP government is playing with my security. I had NSG security, but it was withdrawn. The government should have disclosed why," Yadav said, alleging that security decisions were being politicised.
Yadav also referred to the withdrawal of SPG protection for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, claiming that the BJP government had earlier removed his cover and made him vacate his official residence.
Speaking to reporters during his day-long visit to Jhansi, Yadav accused the BJP of "insulting everyone", including a Shankaracharya and students at the Magh Mela in Prayagraj.
"They pulled the 'shikha' (tuft of hair) of our 'batuks' and humiliated them. The chief minister is constantly insulting Shankaracharya. He is demanding certificates from him," Yadav said, adding that Yogi Adityanath should apologise for his actions
A "true yogi" empathises with people's suffering, he said, and alleged that the government instead celebrates bulldozing houses. He further claimed that the chief minister does not respect the Constitution and law, and cited cases mentioned in Adityanath's 2017 election affidavit to attack him.
"No other chief minister has faced as many cases as the current chief minister," the SP chief said in the statement.
