Vancouver: As India and Canada continue efforts to restore diplomatic relations, a pro-Khalistan group has issued a fresh threat against Indian diplomatic establishments in Canada.

Sikhs for Justice (SFJ), a US-based organisation advocating for Khalistan, announced that it will “lay siege” to the Indian Consulate in Vancouver on Thursday. The group has urged Indo-Canadians with scheduled visits to reschedule their appointments.

SFJ released a poster depicting India’s newly appointed High Commissioner to Canada, Dinesh Patnaik, with a target symbol over his face. The organisation accused Indian consulates of running spy networks and carrying out surveillance against Khalistan supporters.

In its statement, the group invoked Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s remarks in Parliament on September 18, 2023, when he said Indian agents’ involvement was being investigated in the killing of Hardeep Singh Nijjar. “Two years on, Indian Consulates continue to run a spy network and surveillance targeting Khalistan Referendum campaigners,” SFJ claimed.

The organisation also alleged that threats to its members were so severe that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) had placed Inderjeet Singh Gosal, who took over the Khalistan Referendum campaign after Nijjar’s killing, under witness protection.

SFJ said its planned siege would seek “accountability” for alleged espionage and intimidation carried out by Indian officials on Canadian soil.

Neither India’s Ministry of External Affairs nor the Indian Consulate in Vancouver has responded to the threat.

The issue of Khalistani extremism in Canada has seen renewed focus. A Canadian government report released earlier this month confirmed that extremist Khalistani groups, including Babbar Khalsa International and the International SYF, both proscribed as terrorist organisations under Canada’s Criminal Code, were receiving financial backing from individuals and networks within the country. The report noted that such groups primarily function through smaller, loosely connected networks of supporters rather than large formal organisations.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Unnao/Kanpur (UP) (PTI): A 65-year-old umpire died while several players were injured after a swarm of bees attacked them during a cricket match in Unnao district, police said on Thursday.

A top office-bearer of the Kanpur Cricket Association, which organised the game, confirmed the incident that took place at Sapru Maidan in the Shuklaganj area on Wednesday evening.

According to police officials, Manik Gupta from Kanpur was officiating as the umpire of the cricket match when a swarm of bees suddenly attacked the players and officials present on the ground, triggering panic. Players and spectators ran for cover to save themselves.

Eyewitnesses said Gupta sustained serious injuries in the attack and fell unconscious. He was initially taken to a private hospital in Shuklaganj and later referred to Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital in Kanpur as his condition deteriorated. Doctors at this hospital declared him dead.

Another umpire and around 15 to 20 players also suffered bee stings, police said.

In an official confirmation of the incident, S N Singh, president of the Kanpur Cricket Association, told PTI that umpire Manik Gupta died after being attacked by a swarm of bees during a cricket match in Unnao.

When Gupta was being rushed to the hospital, bees were still clinging to his face and body, Singh said, underscoring the intensity of the attack.

He conveyed heartfelt condolences on behalf of the association, stating that it stands firmly with the bereaved family in this hour of grief.