Caracas (Venezuela) (AP): The United States hit Venezuela with a “large-scale strike” early Saturday and said President Nicolas Maduro had been captured and flown out of the country after months of stepped-up pressure by Washington — an extraordinary nighttime operation announced by President Donald Trump on social media hours after the attack.
Multiple explosions rang out, and low-flying aircraft swept through Caracas, the capital, as Maduro's government immediately accused the US of attacking civilian and military installations. The Venezuelan government called it an “imperialist attack” and urged citizens to take to the streets.
Trump announced the developments on Truth Social shortly after 4:30 am ET and said he would host a news conference at 11 am ET.
ALSO READ: Congress and NCP (SP) to contest separately in Nagpur civic polls
Here's the latest:
Colombia prepares to receive refugees from Venezuela
----------------------------------------------------------------
President Gustavo Petro of Colombia, one of Trump's fiercest critics, said the Colombian government convened a national security meeting before dawn Saturday and sent security forces to the border in preparation for a potential “massive influx of refugees” from neighbouring Venezuela.
He said he'd also call on the UN Security Council to consider “the aggression against the sovereignty of Venezuela and of Latin America.”
“Without sovereignty, there is no nation,” Petro wrote on social media.
Russia calls US action an act of armed aggression'
-----------------------------------------------------------
Russia's Foreign Ministry condemned what it called a US “act of armed aggression” against Venezuela in a statement posted on its Telegram channel Saturday.
“Venezuela must be guaranteed the right to determine its own destiny without any destructive, let alone military, outside intervention,” the statement said.
The ministry called for dialogue to prevent further escalation and said it reaffirmed its “solidarity” with the Venezuelan people and government, adding that Russia supports calls for an emergency UN Security Council meeting.
State Department urges Americans in Venezuela to shelter in place
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The State Department issued a new travel alert early Saturday, warning Americans in Venezuela to “shelter in place” due to the situation.
“US Embassy Bogota is aware of reports of explosions in and around Caracas, Venezuela,” it said without elaboration.
“The US Embassy in Bogota, Colombia, warns US citizens not to travel to Venezuela. US citizens in Venezuela should shelter in place.” The embassy in Bogota has been shuttered since March 2019 but operates remotely.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio retweeted Trump's announcement without comment, but his deputy, Christopher Landau, posted Trump's statement, adding that it marked “a new dawn for Venezuela!” “The tyrant is gone. He will now—finally—face justice for his crimes,” Landau said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Ramzan fasts will begin on Thursday in India as the crescent moon marking the start of the fasting month was sighted in various parts of the country on Wednesday.
After the sighting of the moon, the holy month begins and for the next 30 days, Muslims fast from dawn to dusk.
Shahi Imam of Chandni Chowk's Fatehpuri mosque Maulana Mufti Mukarram Ahmed announced that the crescent moon was sighted and the month of fasting will start from February 19.
Naib Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Shaban Bukhari also declared that the moon was sighted.
During this month, a special prayer called Taraweeh are offered in mosques in the evening. In this prayer, the entire Quran is recited and it continues till the sighting of the Eid moon.
Mufti Mukarram has appealed to the Muslim community to "pray as much as possible for the well-being of the 140 crore people of the country".
