Muzaffarabad: Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK) is witnessing one of its largest protest movements in years, with thousands rallying under the banner of the Awami Action Committee (AAC) to demand long-pending reforms.

The AAC has launched an indefinite “shutter-down and wheel-jam” strike, pressing a 38-point charter of demands. Key demands include abolishing 12 assembly seats reserved for Kashmiri refugees living in Pakistan, subsidised flour, reduced electricity tariffs linked to the Mangla hydropower project, and long-promised structural reforms.

In response, Islamabad cut internet access from midnight and deployed large contingents of security forces. Over the weekend, convoys of armed personnel conducted flag marches across major towns, while additional police from Punjab and 1,000 reinforcements from Islamabad were sent to the region. Entry and exit points of key cities have been sealed.

Talks between AAC leaders, PoK authorities, and federal ministers broke down after 13 hours, with AAC negotiators refusing to compromise on their demand to abolish elite privileges and refugee assembly seats.

Despite heavy deployment, protest leaders insisted the demonstrations would remain peaceful. However, videos circulating on social media showed large crowds chanting slogans against Pakistan’s occupation, raising fears of a severe crackdown.

Traders in Muzaffarabad briefly reopened shops on Sunday to allow residents to purchase essential supplies before the strike resumed.

Officials have defended the deployment as necessary to maintain order, while AAC leaders maintain the agitation is a peaceful struggle for fundamental rights denied to the region for over seven decades.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Karachi (PTI): At least 16 people, including many children, were killed and 14 others injured when a suspected gas leakage led to an explosion in a residential building in Pakistan's Karachi on Thursday morning.

“The explosion took place around 4:30 am on the first floor of the building located in the Old Soldier Bazar area when everyone was awake for Sehri time,” police official Jamshed Asher said.

The first day of Ramzan is being observed in Pakistan today.

The police official said that the reason for the explosion apparently was a gas leakage.

ALSO READ:  IIT-Madras to establish applied AI innovation centre in Dubai

Due to gas shortage in Pakistan’s biggest city, many families especially in lower income residential areas use liquid petroleum gas cylinders at their homes.

Police surgeon Dr Samaiya Syed confirmed that they have received 14 bodies so far from the blast site while 14 injured are under treatment.

The explosion caused a part of the building structure to collapse due to its dilapidated condition.

“We are still searching through the rubble and debris to see if there are any more bodies or survivors,” Chief Fire Officer Humayun Khan said.

The deceased include at least nine children aged between two and 17 while the injured also include seven children.

This is the second major tragedy to occur in Karachi. Last month, a fire broke out in the basement of the Gul Shopping Plaza, a wholesale and retail market, in the Saddar area killing at least 79 people and leaving scores injured.