Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has suspended Prahlad Iyengar, a PhD student in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, until January 2026 following the publication of a pro-Palestine essay in a student magazine. This decision effectively terminates his five-year NSF fellowship and bars him from entering the campus.

The essay, titled On Pacifism, was published in the October issue of Written Revolution, a multidisciplinary student magazine. According to an email from MIT Dean of Student Life David Warren Randall to the magazine editors, the article contained imagery and language that "could be interpreted as a call for more violent or destructive forms of protest at MIT." The email also highlighted the inclusion of images such as the logo of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, designated as a terrorist organization by the U.S. State Department.

Iyengar, who had previously faced suspension last year for participating in pro-Palestine rallies, criticised the recent action as a violation of free speech. Speaking to WBUR, he stated that the magazine was intended to "explain in our words what we were doing, why we were doing it, and what was happening on campus."

The MIT Coalition Against Apartheid has condemned the suspension, labelling it a blow to free speech. The coalition described the punishment as tantamount to expulsion due to the disruption of Iyengar's academic career and the requirement for a re-admission approval by the same disciplinary panel.

In a public petition, the coalition urged the administration to revoke or reduce the sanctions, calling on organisations and institutions to stand against what they termed the repression of student activism. They emphasised that Iyengar is appealing the decision with the Chancellor. Protests have also been launched by the coalition to pressure MIT's administration to reconsider the disciplinary action.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.