Gaza City: Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) announced on Friday that it has suspended lifesaving medical activities in Gaza City, citing an “unacceptable level of risk” to staff and patients as Israeli forces intensified their assault.
The humanitarian group said continued airstrikes and advancing tanks less than a kilometre from its healthcare facilities forced the suspension. “We have been left with no choice but to stop our activities, as our clinics are encircled by Israeli forces,” said Jacob Granger, MSF’s emergency coordinator in Gaza.
According to MSF, the halt comes at a critical time when needs are immense. Infants in neonatal care, patients with severe injuries, and people with life-threatening illnesses remain in grave danger. Tens of thousands have fled south following evacuation orders, but hundreds of thousands are still trapped in Gaza City without a safe route out.
Hospitals across the enclave are struggling with shortages of staff, supplies, and fuel, leaving many patients arriving too late and in critical condition. Despite the deteriorating situation, MSF clinics in Gaza City provided more than 3,600 consultations and treated 1,655 cases of malnutrition just last week, alongside trauma, burn, and maternity care.
While suspending activities in Gaza City, MSF said it would continue supporting services at Al-Helou and Al-Shifa hospitals as long as they remain functional. Teams in southern Gaza are still operating at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, Al-Aqsa Hospital in the Middle Area, and several field hospitals.
MSF called for an immediate halt to hostilities and urged Israeli authorities to guarantee unhindered humanitarian access. “People in Gaza City have been repeatedly and relentlessly bombed. They are exhausted and are being deliberately deprived of the essentials needed to survive,” the group said.
The ongoing Israeli offensive has killed at least 65,549 people and wounded 167,518 since October 2023, with thousands more believed to be trapped under rubble.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Karachi (PTI): At least 16 people, including many children, were killed and 14 others injured when a suspected gas leakage led to an explosion in a residential building in Pakistan's Karachi on Thursday morning.
“The explosion took place around 4:30 am on the first floor of the building located in the Old Soldier Bazar area when everyone was awake for Sehri time,” police official Jamshed Asher said.
The first day of Ramzan is being observed in Pakistan today.
The police official said that the reason for the explosion apparently was a gas leakage.
ALSO READ: IIT-Madras to establish applied AI innovation centre in Dubai
Due to gas shortage in Pakistan’s biggest city, many families especially in lower income residential areas use liquid petroleum gas cylinders at their homes.
Police surgeon Dr Samaiya Syed confirmed that they have received 14 bodies so far from the blast site while 14 injured are under treatment.
The explosion caused a part of the building structure to collapse due to its dilapidated condition.
“We are still searching through the rubble and debris to see if there are any more bodies or survivors,” Chief Fire Officer Humayun Khan said.
The deceased include at least nine children aged between two and 17 while the injured also include seven children.
This is the second major tragedy to occur in Karachi. Last month, a fire broke out in the basement of the Gul Shopping Plaza, a wholesale and retail market, in the Saddar area killing at least 79 people and leaving scores injured.
