Kathmandu (PTI): Nepalese troops on Wednesday patrolled the streets to restore order and to quell possible violence "under the guise of agitation" as the Himalayan nation slowly returned to normalcy, a day after violent demonstrations forced Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli to resign.

The Nepal Army, which took control of security from Tuesday night after incidents of arson and vandalism across the country, imposed nationwide restrictive orders followed by a curfew until 6 am Thursday.

The national capital wore a deserted look as soldiers guarded the streets and ordered people to stay at home, a day after protesters set fire to the key government buildings, political parties' offices and homes of senior politicians. There were no reports of violence on Wednesday.

In a statement, the army said that measures were necessitated to curb possible incidents of looting, arson, and other destructive activities "under the guise of agitation".

The army warned that any form of demonstrations, vandalism, arson, or attacks on individuals and property during the restrictive period would be treated as criminal acts and dealt with accordingly.

As the situation returns to normalcy, the protesting Gen Z group held discussions to finalise the name of the person to lead an interim government.

Former chief justice Sushila Karki, Kathmandu Mayor Balendra Shah and former electricity board CEO Kulman Ghising were among the names being considered by the group to lead the interim government, sources said on Wednesday.

Karki is the only woman to serve as the chief justice of Nepal's top court.

Nepali Congress General Secretaries Gagan Thapa and Bishwa Prakash Sharma issued a joint statement, saying they are ready to cooperate with the Gen Z group. However, they emphasised that any decision must follow the constitutional and legal process.

“Lawlessness only leads to further chaos. Therefore, during the talks, we urge the President and the Gen Z representatives to ensure that a new political structure is formed for governance and elections without causing a prolonged constitutional vacuum or instability,” the statement said.

Meanwhile, the Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) in Kathmandu resumed services from Wednesday evening, 24 hours after closing its operations due to violent protests.

In a notice, the TIA management asked the passengers concerned to contact their respective airline companies for re-confirmation (of their flights). It said all domestic and international flights, which had been suspended, are now cleared to operate.

The Nepal Army has asked the "foreign nationals, stranded due to the current difficult situation, to contact the nearest security post or security people for their rescue or any other help.”

It has also requested hotels, tourism entrepreneurs and related agencies concerned to provide necessary help to the needy foreign nationals.

Meanwhile, the death toll from the violent protests led by the 'Gen Z' group in the last two days increased to 30, according to the Ministry of Health and Population.

In a statement released on Wednesday evening, the ministry said 1,061 people were injured. It said 719 of the injured have been discharged, while 274 have been admitted to the hospital.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Congress leader Sachin Pilot on Thursday hit out at Union minister Kiren Rijiju for passing a "disrespectful and inappropriate" remark against Rahul Gandhi, and asked him to apologise for it.

He was answering a query regarding Rijiju's reported statement in which he described Gandhi as the "most dangerous person" for India's security, and a purported video of a man claiming to be from Karni Sena issuing death threats to the Congress leader.

Addressing a press conference here, Pilot said, "When ordinary journalists criticise the government, they face FIRs and jail. But when threats are issued against the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha (Rahul Gandhi), there is silence. This shows the government's intention. LoP is a constitutional position. To describe him as a security threat is inappropriate and disrespectful. Even as such open threats are being made, the government is not taking any action."

"The statement 9against Gandhi) should be withdrawn and an apology should be issued," the Congress general secretary said, adding that it is the job of the LoP to seek accountability from the government and ask questions.

To a query on the plane crash in which Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar was killed on January 28, Pilot said, "I do not want to speculate. There should be a transparent, time-bound inquiry. If there are doubts, a high-level investigation should clarify facts."

When asked about the demand for leadership change in the opposition INDIA bloc, he said, "Leadership decisions are internal matters. The alliance worked remarkably well in the last Lok Sabha election. The gap in numbers between the INDIA bloc and the NDA was not very wide. We are working together strongly and will continue to do so."

The Congress has been helming the INDIA bloc, a coalition of Opposition parties formed before the 2024 Lok Sabha elections to counter the ruling BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA). However, voices from disgruntled Congress members and those associated with the UPA dispensation suggested that the leadership of the opposition alliance should be given to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee or Tamil Nadu CM M K Stalin.

On Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Indian economy, Pilot said, "India is a major IT power. We have talent and capability. Many countries see India as a natural partner. But we must use our strengths wisely and not compromise our sovereignty under pressure."

"India should have the freedom to decide where to buy oil from. That is a sovereign decision," Pilot said.

On the issue of illegal migration, he said anybody staying illegally in India should be removed regardless of religion or caste.

"But this issue should not be politicised. If the border has been under control for 11 years, how did illegal immigrants enter? The government should provide data on how many people have been deported," he said.

"This government's intent and policies are anti-farmer and there is no accountability. The opposition will continue to demand answers from the government and stand with farmers and the people of India," he said.