Deir al-Balah (AP): Israeli strikes on northern Gaza have killed at least 22 people, Palestinian medical officials said.

The Gaza Health Ministry's emergency service said that 11 women and two children were among those killed in the strikes late Saturday on several homes and buildings in the northern town of Beit Lahiya. It said another 15 people were wounded and that the death toll could rise.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military.

Israel has been waging a massive air and ground offensive in northern Gaza for the last three weeks, after saying that Hamas had regrouped there. Hundreds of people have been killed and tens of thousands of Palestinians have fled to Gaza City in the latest wave of displacement in the yearlong war.

Israel is still carrying out daily strikes across Gaza, even as it wages war with the Hezbollah group in Lebanon. On Saturday, Israeli warplanes attacked Iran — which backs both Hamas and Hezbollah — in response to an Iranian ballistic missile attack earlier this month.

The cascading conflicts have raised fears of an all-out regional war pitting Israel and the United States against Iran and its proxies, which also include the Houthi rebels in Yemen and armed groups in Syria and Iraq.

Israel's retaliatory offensive has killed more than 42,000 Palestinians, according to the local Health Ministry. It says more than half of those killed were women and children.

The offensive has devastated much of the impoverished coastal territory and displaced around 90 per cent of its population, often multiple times. Hundreds of thousands of people have crowded into squalid tent camps along the coast, and aid groups say hunger is rampant.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Nagpur (PTI): A student from Maharashtra drowned and another went missing after venturing into the sea in Chennai, officials said on Sunday.

It was not yet known which institution the students were from and where exactly the incident occurred.

The Maharashtra government has appealed to the Tamil Nadu authorities to expedite the search and rescue operation.

The incident occurred on Saturday when a group of 26 students went to the seashore.

Three of them entered the waters where Mayuri Chaudhari from Nagpur drowned, while Jay Patil went missing and a search was underway for him, a statement from the Maharashtra Chief Minister's Office said.

Another student, Raj Kedari, was rescued safely, it said.

Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis has contacted the Tamil Nadu government and is overseeing relief efforts. He urged the Tamil Nadu government to provide immediate aid and launch a rescue operation. 

The family members of Chaudhari and Patil have been informed.