La Paz (AP): Conservative politician Rodrigo Paz was sworn in as Bolivia's new president on Saturday, ushering in a new era for the Andean nation after nearly 20 years of one-party rule.
Paz took the oath of office before lawmakers and foreign leaders, raising his right hand before a Bible and a cross.
“God, country, and family, I do swear,” he said before receiving the presidential sash and medals.
The inauguration of Paz, 58, has generated anticipation among Bolivians weary of the severe fuel shortages and high food prices that have come to characterise the country's worst economic crisis in 40 years. To widespread surprise, he beat out his far more prominent right-wing opponent, former President Jorge “Tuto” Quiroga, in Bolivia's presidential runoff last month.
Paz inherits an economy in shambles after 20 years of rule by the Movement Toward Socialism party, founded by charismatic former President Evo Morales. The party had its heyday during the commodities boom of the early 2000s, but natural gas exports have sputtered and its statist economic model of generous subsidies and a fixed exchange rate has collapsed.
With US dollars scarce and chronic fuel shortages, a majority of voters chose Paz to lift them out of the economic crisis. He pitched major reforms but at a more gradual pace than Quiroga, who advocated an International Monetary Fund bailout and fiscal shock program.
The presidents of Argentina, Javier Milei; Chile, Gabriel Boric; Ecuador, Daniel Noboa; Uruguay, Yamandú Orsi; and Paraguay, Santiago Peña attended the inauguration in Bolivia's capital, La Paz.
After his October 20 victory, Paz distanced himself from the ALBA bloc — of which Bolivia is part along with Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela — and moved closer to the United States, from which his country had grew apart after the expulsion of the US ambassador in 2008, during Morales's administration.
Paz also engaged with international financial institutions regarding a potential economic assistance programme. In addition, the new president reached an initial agreement with the Andean Development Corporation for a USD3.1 billion loan to boost economic recovery over the next few years.
“After two decades of left-wing government, he can count on the goodwill of foreign investors and the international community,” said Michael Shifter of the Inter-American Dialogue, a Washington-based international think tank. “His task will not be easy. If he acts too slowly or his policies stagnate and fail to pull Bolivia out of its economic crisis, Paz risks losing political capital.”
Paz also announced after the election that his government will cooperate with all international organisations on security matters, including the US Drug Enforcement Administration, which Morales expelled from Bolivia at the end of 2008.
Paz will now have to work on building a solid alliance with political blocs as his Christian Democratic Party controls only 39 per cent of the 166 seats of the Legislative Assembly.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
