Madrid: Spain is in mourning after a devastating train accident in the country’s south left at least 42 people dead, including an entire family, with one six-year-old girl emerging as the sole survivor from among her closest relatives.
The crash occurred when two trains collided after one of them derailed for reasons that are still under investigation, as reported by Associated Press News. The impact tore through the front carriages, which suffered the heaviest damage, leaving mangled metal, scattered debris and dozens of casualties along a steep slope beside the tracks.
Amid the wreckage, Civil Guard personnel discovered the young girl barefoot on the railway line after she managed to escape through a shattered window, according to reports by Spanish daily La Vanguardia. Despite the severity of the accident, she sustained only minor injuries and received three stitches to her head at a hospital. Doctors later confirmed that she was in stable condition.
The child lost her parents, her brother and a cousin in the crash, authorities said, leaving her orphaned. The victims belonged to the Zamorano Álvarez family from Punta Umbria, a town that has since declared three days of mourning. Local officials said the family had been seated in the front section of the train, which absorbed the force of the collision.
On Tuesday, Punta Umbria observed a minute of silence in memory of those who died. According to an AP report, Mayor José Carlos Hernández said the survival of the girl offered a small measure of comfort amid widespread grief. “Many people are deeply saddened by this terrible accident, but there is also solace in knowing that some survived, like the miracle of this girl who is safe,” he said.
The mayor added that the child is now staying with her grandparents at a hotel in Córdoba, the nearest major city to the crash site. “She has a strong family around her, who will do everything possible to ensure she has a good life,” he said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): French President Emmanuel Macron, along with First Lady Brigitte Macron, left Mumbai for New Delhi on Wednesday after concluding his engagements here, including bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
They were seen off at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport by Maharashtra Governor Acharya Devvrat, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Deputy CM Eknath Shinde.
On Tuesday, Macron held discussions with Modi as part of efforts to further strengthen India-France strategic ties.
During the Mumbai visit, the French president and his wife also met some of India's top filmmakers and actors, and had an animated exchange with them about cinema, culture and collaboration.
President Macron is on an official visit to India from February 17 to 19 at the invitation of PM Modi to participate in the AI Impact Summit hosted by India in the national capital Delhi, besides the bilateral summit in Mumbai.
PM Modi will inaugurate the summit on February 19. As many as 20 heads of states, including French President Macron, will be present at the inaugural session, Electronics and IT Secretary S Krishnan said.
