New Delhi (PTI Fact Check): Multiple social media users recently shared posts claiming that three high-ranking Indian diplomats were killed in an attack on Indian consulate vehicle in Afghanistan's Jalalabad on December 24. However, the PTI Fact Check Desk, in its investigation, found the claim to be false. In fact, an Afghan national working at the Indian consulate in Jalalabad sustained injuries when unidentified persons opened fire at his vehicle the same day. 

Notably, India had long closed operations at the Indian consulate in Jalalabad post the fall of the Ashraf Ghani government. Only a number of local staffers are presently working at the mission.

Claim

An X (formerly Twitter) user on December 24 claimed that three high-ranking Indian diplomats were killed in an attack in Afghanistan’s Jalalabad. The post has garnered over 20k views so far. 

Here's the linkarchive link, and screenshot of the post. 

Investigation

On running the viral screenshot through Google Lens, the Desk found that similar claim was shared by several other social media users. Two such posts can be seen here and here, and their archived versions can be viewed here and here, respectively. 

Below is the screenshot of one such post by a user on X (formerly Twitter).

In the next part of investigation, the Desk carried out a customised keyword search on Google, but could not find any authentic news report, substantiating the viral claim.  

However, the search results led us to a PTI report carried by The Print on December 24, whose headline read: “Afghan staffer at Indian consulate in Jalalabad injured in attack”. 

Here is the link to the post:

“An Afghan national working at the Indian consulate in Jalalabad sustained injuries on Tuesday when unidentified persons opened fire at his vehicle, people familiar with the matter said,” read a section of the report. 

It further stated that India had closed operations at the consulate around three-and-a-half years back but a number of local staffers were working at the mission.

On further scanning the search results, we came across another report on the incident by Hindustan Times. 

Here's the link and screenshot of the news report. 

None of the reports mentioned anything about any casualty or any Indian official suffering injuries in the attack. 

Subsequently, the Desk concluded that the claim of three Indian officials being killed in an attack in Afghanistan’s Jalalabad was fake. 

CLAIM

Three Indian diplomats killed in an attack in Afghanistan’s Jalalabad.

FACT

One Afghan staffer working at Indian consulate was injured in the December 24 attack.

CONCLUSION

Multiple social media users claimed that three Indian diplomats were killed in attack in attack in Afghanistan’s Jalalabad on December 24. In its investigation, the Desk found the claim to be false.

(This story was originally published by PTI, and republished by english.varthabharati.in as part of the Shakti Collective)

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.