Khartoum: Sudan’s ongoing civil war has led to a severe humanitarian crisis, characterised by widespread hunger, forced displacement, and staggering levels of sexual violence. It has resulted in the world’s largest displacement crisis this year, as reported by the UN’s International Organisation for Migration (IOM) this week.
The conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has resulted in thousands of deaths and displaced millions from their homes. The UN Independent International Fact-Finding Mission for Sudan, as cited by Al Jazeera, said that paramilitaries are targeting the female population. Mohamed Chande Othman, Chair of the Fact-Finding Mission, stressed that there is currently no safe place for women and girls in Sudan due to the rising incidents of abduction for sexual slavery.
Meanwhile, over 14 million people have been displaced in Sudan and more than half of those displaced are women, with over a quarter being children under five years old. In some areas, children are reportedly dying from starvation, and the recent rainy season has worsened the crisis by causing flooding and additional displacement.
Furthermore, the UN food agencies have warned of deadly hunger levels in 16 "hunger hotspots," with particular concern for the Palestinian territories, Sudan, South Sudan, Mali, and Haiti. In South Sudan the number of people facing starvation and death are projected to have nearly doubled from April and July 2024 compared to the same period last year.
IOM Director-General Amy Pope emphasised that this is easily the “most neglected crisis in the world” today and requires greater attention. She stated that millions are suffering, and there is a serious risk of the conflict igniting regional instability from the Sahel to the Horn of Africa and the Red Sea.
“Hunger, disease and sexual violence are rampant. For the people of Sudan, this is a living nightmare,” she asserted.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Nagpur (PTI): A student from Maharashtra drowned and another went missing after venturing into the sea in Chennai, officials said on Sunday.
It was not yet known which institution the students were from and where exactly the incident occurred.
The Maharashtra government has appealed to the Tamil Nadu authorities to expedite the search and rescue operation.
The incident occurred on Saturday when a group of 26 students went to the seashore.
Three of them entered the waters where Mayuri Chaudhari from Nagpur drowned, while Jay Patil went missing and a search was underway for him, a statement from the Maharashtra Chief Minister's Office said.
Another student, Raj Kedari, was rescued safely, it said.
Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis has contacted the Tamil Nadu government and is overseeing relief efforts. He urged the Tamil Nadu government to provide immediate aid and launch a rescue operation.
The family members of Chaudhari and Patil have been informed.
