Tokyo: In a move aimed at addressing Japan's shrinking birth rate, the Japanese capital is set to introduce a four-day workweek for its employees. This initiative is part of broader efforts to increase fertility rates, encourage family time and support young families, particularly in the face of Japan’s aging population.
Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike announced that the metropolitan government's employees will be able to take three days off every week beginning in April next year.
In a policy speech at the fourth regular session of the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly, she said that they will review work styles to ensure that no one has to give up their career due to life events like childbirth or child care.
Koike also announced a separate policy to allow parents of primary school-aged children to leave work early in exchange for a slightly reduced salary. "In these difficult times, Tokyo must take the lead in safeguarding and improving the lives, livelihoods, and economy of our people," she said.
Only 727,277 births were recorded last year, with the fertility rate - the number of children a woman has in her lifetime - dropping to a fresh low of 1.2, according to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. For a population to remain stable, it needs a fertility rate of 2.1.
The move also comes as Japan continues to grapple with a gender gap in the labour market. The World Bank reports that last year, 72 percent of men participated in the workforce, compared to just 55 percent of women.
The new four-day workweek will reportedly apply to more than 160,000 employees of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, one of Japan's largest employers.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.
The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.
The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.
As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.
The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.
