Chiapas: Mexico’s Defence Department reported on Wednesday that a truck carrying migrants from India, Pakistan, Nepal, and other countries was fired upon by Mexican soldiers near the Guatemala border which resulted in the death of six migrants.

The soldiers claimed that they heard gunfire as the truck and two other vehicles approached their position on Tuesday in the southern state of Chiapas. Two soldiers opened fire on the truck and four migrants were found dead on the spot while 12 were wounded.

The Defence Department announced in a press release that “military personnel identified identified 33 migrants of Egyptian, Nepalese, Cuban, Indian, Pakistani, and Arab nationality, of whom 4 had died, 12 injured, and 17 unharmed.” It added that two more people died after being transported to a local hospital.

Additionally, the two soldiers who fired their weapons have been relieved of duty while investigations are currently underway.

The area is reportedly a common route for smuggling migrants, who are often crammed into overcrowded freight trucks.

Irineo Mujica, a migrant rights activist who has frequently accompanied caravans in the Chiapas region, expressed skepticism that the migrants or their smugglers would have opened fire. “It is really impossible that these people would have been shooting at the army,” Mujica was quoted as saying by The Associated Press He added that most of the time they get through by paying bribes.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lucknow (PTI): Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday accused the BJP government of "playing" with his security and sought an explanation for the withdrawal of the National Security Guard (NSG) cover provided to him.

In a statement issued from the SP headquarters here, the former chief minister said the government must clarify the reasons cited in his security cover review that led to the withdrawal.

"The BJP government is playing with my security. I had NSG security, but it was withdrawn. The government should have disclosed why," Yadav said, alleging that security decisions were being politicised.

Yadav also referred to the withdrawal of SPG protection for Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, claiming that the BJP government had earlier removed his cover and made him vacate his official residence.

Speaking to reporters during his day-long visit to Jhansi, Yadav accused the BJP of "insulting everyone", including a Shankaracharya and students at the Magh Mela in Prayagraj.

"They pulled the 'shikha' (tuft of hair) of our 'batuks' and humiliated them. The chief minister is constantly insulting Shankaracharya. He is demanding certificates from him," Yadav said, adding that Yogi Adityanath should apologise for his actions

A "true yogi" empathises with people's suffering, he said, and alleged that the government instead celebrates bulldozing houses. He further claimed that the chief minister does not respect the Constitution and law, and cited cases mentioned in Adityanath's 2017 election affidavit to attack him.

"No other chief minister has faced as many cases as the current chief minister," the SP chief said in the statement.