Aboard Air Force One, Jan 26 (AP): President Donald Trump said he would like to see Jordan, Egypt and other Arab nations increase the number of Palestinian refugees they are accepting from the Gaza Strip, potentially moving out enough of the population to “just clean out” the war-torn area to create a virtual clean slate.

During a 20-minute question-and-answer session Saturday with reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump also said he has ended his predecessor's hold on sending 2,000-pound bombs to Israel. That lifts a pressure point meant to reduce civilian casualties during Israel's war with Hamas in Gaza, which is now halted by a tenuous ceasefire.

“We released them today," Trump said of the bombs. “They've been waiting for them for a long time." Asked why he lifted the ban on those bombs, Trump responded, “Because they bought them.”

Trump has built his political career around being unapologetically pro-Israel. On his larger vision for Gaza, Trump said he had call earlier in the day with King Abdullah II of Jordan and would speak Sunday with President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi of Egypt.

“I'd like Egypt to take people,” Trump said. “You're talking about probably a million and a half people, and we just clean out that whole thing and say, You know, it's over.'”

Trump said he complimented Jordan for having successfully accepted Palestinian refugees and that he told the king, “I'd love for you to take on more, cause I'm looking at the whole Gaza Strip right now, and it's a mess. It's a real mess.”

Such a drastic displacement of people would openly contradict Palestinian identity and deep connection to Gaza. Still, Trump said the part of the world that encompasses Gaza, has “had many, many conflicts” over centuries. He said resettling “could be temporary or long term”.

“Something has to happen," Trump said. “But it's literally a demolition site right now. Almost everything's demolished, and people are dying there.” He added: “So, I'd rather get involved with some of the Arab nations, and build housing in a different location, where they can maybe live in peace for a change.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a statement Sunday, thanked Trump for “keeping your promise to give Israel the tools it needs to defend itself.” He did not mention Trump's suggestion on Palestinian refugees.

Trump has offered nontraditional views on the future of Gaza in the past. He suggested after he was inaugurated on Monday that Gaza has “really got to be rebuilt in a different way".

The new president added then, "Gaza is interesting. It's a phenomenal location, on the sea. The best weather, you know, everything is good. It's like, some beautiful things could be done with it, but it's very interesting."

Resuming delivery of large bombs, meanwhile, is a break with then-President Joe Biden, who halted their delivery in May as part of an effort to keep Israel from launching an all-out assault on the southern Gaza city of Rafah. A month later, Israel did take control of the city, but after the vast majority of the 1 million civilians that had been living or sheltering in Rafah had fled.

“Civilians have been killed in Gaza as a consequence of those bombs and other ways in which they go after population centres,” Biden told CNN in May when he held up the weapons. “I made it clear that if they go into Rafah ... I'm not supplying the weapons that have been used historically to deal with Rafah, to deal with the cities, that deal with that problem.”

The Biden pause had also held up 1,700 500-pound bombs that had been packaged in the same shipment to Israel, but weeks later those bombs were delivered.

Trump's action comes as he has celebrated the first phase of a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel that has paused the fighting and seen the release of some hostages held by Hamas in Gaza in return for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

Negotiations have yet to begin in earnest on the more difficult second phase of the deal that would eventually see the release of all hostages held by Hamas and an enduring halt to the fighting.

If the remaining hostages are not released, the Israeli government has threatened to resume its war against Hamas, which launched a massive assault against Israel on Oct 7, 2023.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ahmedabad (PTI): AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday accused the Centre of "selling" India and its farmers to the US through the interim trade deal, and claimed that it is for the first time that the country's interests in the agriculture sector have been compromised in such a manner.

He expressed fear that India's exports to the US will eventually stop as our goods will become 18 per cent more expensive in that country, which will ultimately pose a big threat to the farmers.

Kejriwal and Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann are in Gujarat to prepare groundwork for their Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) ahead of the Gujarat assembly elections expected to be held in December 2027.

Addressing a press conference, Kejriwal said, "For the first time, India has compromised in the agriculture sector in such a manner. In the coming days, we will see the impact of this trade deal. Prime Minister Narendra Modi sold the entire country and the farmers to the United States. The country will never forgive this."

The US had imposed a reciprocal tariff of 25 per cent on India in August last year. Later, an additional 25 per cent was imposed for buying Russian crude oil, taking the total tariffs on India to 50 per cent. Earlier this month, both countries agreed to finalise an interim trade deal, under which Washington will cut down the tariffs to 18 per cent.

The US Supreme Court, however, passed a verdict against President Donald Trump's sweeping duties on several nations, following which India will now face a lower reciprocal tariff of 10 per cent. According to Trump's proclamation, the temporary import surcharge of 10 per cent is for a period of 150 days from February 24.

Dubbing the trade deal as "unfortunate", Kejriwal said Gujarat produces maize, soybean, dairy products, peanut and cotton.

"Many of these products are exported, especially to the US. In this free trade agreement, it is written that the goods we send to the US will face an 18 per cent tariff. If our goods become 18 per cent more expensive in the US, how will we remain competitive there? Our exports will eventually stop," the former Delhi chief minister said.

"On the other hand, when American cotton is sent to India, earlier there used to be significant duty on it but it has now been brought down to zero. So American cotton will come to Gujarat, and when it is sold here, our farmers will not be able to compete with it. So the cotton produced by Indian farmers will neither sell in India nor in the US," he said.

"Our farmers will suffer losses. This is the situation. Why did PM Modi make such a treaty with the USA?" he asked.

Kejriwal also criticised the annual budget presented in Gujarat recently, saying that the common man has high expectations from it because household finances depend heavily on government decisions.

People look to the budget for relief in prices and improvements in essential sectors like education and healthcare. But there is nothing in it for the common people. The budget lacks provisions of education and there is nothing for healthcare, roads, farmers, traders, women, unemployed or any section of society, he alleged.

"Elections are about one-and-a-half years away. Often it is seen that when elections approach, at least governments try to do something - give some relief so that they can get votes. But the Gujarat government is not even concerned about that," he said.

Kejriwal hit out at the opposition Congress, saying people do not want to vote in favour of that party.

"Because of that, the BJP has become arrogant - thinking that they do not need to do anything. The entire budget is only aimed at exploiting people. This budget shows their arrogance and is an insult to the people of Gujarat. But in the assembly elections, people will give their answer," the AAP leader said.