London (PTI): UK Opposition Conservative Party MP Bob Blackman updated the House of Commons Thursday on the recent visit of an all-party Indian delegation to reiterate India's zero-tolerance stance against terrorism emanating from Pakistan.

In his capacity as the Chair of the House of Commons Backbench Business Committee, Blackman informed Leader of the Commons Lucy Powell of the cross-party and cross-religion delegation's interactions with many British MPs and officials.

He went on to call for a government statement on the steps to be taken to support India in its counter-terror mission in the wake of the Pahalgam terrorist attacks and the following Operation Sindoor targeting terror camps backed by Pakistan.

"Over the weekend and earlier this week, we had our first cross-party delegation from India for many years. It included parliamentarians from all religions, and I know that many MPs and Members of the House of Lords had the opportunity to meet them,” said Blackman.

"Two things came out of that delegation loudly and clearly: first, that the uneasy truce that exists between India and Pakistan could at any time be violated if further terrorist actions emanate from Pakistan; and secondly, that India is reaching out for support from the west on security and defence measures, and we must assist it,” said the Tory MP.

"May we have a statement next week, probably from the Foreign Secretary, on what we in this Parliament will do to support India in its need to quash terrorism,” he asked.

Responding on behalf of the government, Powell expressed her regret at being unable to meet the delegation while they were on a three-day UK visit earlier this week.

"He is right that our relationship with India is important, which is why this government are so pleased that we have agreed an unprecedented trade deal with India,” said Powell.

“There are also, as he says, security and other issues between India and Pakistan, and this House has been kept updated on those matters and I shall make sure that continues to be the case,” she said.

Blackman held talks with BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad-led delegation as a member of the India All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG), which had hosted the nine-member team during a final London engagement at the House of Lords complex before departing for Belgium on Tuesday.

"We have got to build on the trade and security links that we have negotiated over the past few years to enable the United Kingdom and India to operate together for mutual benefit… there’s nothing better than hearing directly from other colleagues in Parliament in India to enable us to understand exactly what India is doing,” the MP for Harrow East in London said, following the meeting earlier this week.

“There is an uneasy truce between India and Pakistan but the reality is that if Pakistan continues to foster terrorism, allow terrorist bases to operate from their side of the Line of Control, then India must respond and eradicate that terrorism,” he said.

The all-party delegation has since been holding discussions with European Union (EU) officials in Brussels before concluding their six-nation Europe tour in Germany.

Besides Prasad, the delegation included Daggubati Purandeswari (BJP), Priyanka Chaturvedi (Shia Sena), Gulam All Khatana (BJP), Amar Singh (Congress), Samik Bhattacharya (BJP), M Thambidurai (AIADMIC), M J Akbar (BJP), and former diplomat Pankaj Saran.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): The Bombay High Court on Friday pulled up the Navy for its “failure in intelligence” while questioning how a high-rise came up unnoticed in the vicinity of INS Shikra, the maritime force’s premier air station in south Mumbai.

A bench of Justices Ravindra Ghuge and Abhay Mantri said it was of the prima facie opinion that there has been an intelligence lapse on the part of the Navy as it failed to notice a skyscraper being constructed in the vicinity of its establishment.

The court was hearing a petition filed by the Commanding Officer of INS Shikra seeking to halt the project, citing significant security risks to the sensitive military installation.

The bench also questioned the Navy’s selective opposition to only this particular building when there are several other residential high-rises in the vicinity, with some at a “stone throw distance” from INS Shikra.

The petitioner’s advocate R V Govilkar said the other buildings were constructed before 2011, when the Ministry of Defence issued a notification, making a No Objection Certificate mandatory for the construction of tall structures near defence establishments.

The court, however, noted that the present high-rise received its commencement certificate in March 2011, and construction began since then.

“You (Navy) are trying to hide grave lapse on your part… lapse in intelligence and security… there has been a failure of intelligence. The Navy has been sitting in its office and noticed this building only after almost 70 metres (19 storeys) had already been constructed till the year 2024,” HC said.

There has been a prima facie lapse of intelligence, the court said, adding, “We are surprised as to how the Navy has failed to see such a high-rise building being constructed all these years? How has the building gone unnoticed? This can only be attributed to the failure of intelligence on the part of the naval officials.”

The bench said it cannot permit its earlier order, temporarily halting construction activity at the building site, to continue as it was passed due to security concerns ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent visit to the city.

The court said since construction up to 53.07 metres (15 storeys) was permitted in the area, the developer of the building shall develop above the permissible height at their own risk.

It added that if the court finally concludes that an NOC (no objection certificate) was mandatory, then it would direct the demolition of the building above the permissible 53 metres.

The court also warned action against Mumbai civic body officials if it is found that the corporation has been complacent or has committed a blunder by granting the commencement certificate without an NOC from the Navy.

It posted the matter for final hearing on March 30.

After perusing photographs of the area near INS Shikra submitted by the developer, the HC noted that there are several other high-rises between the structure under construction and the establishment.

“In fact, from the under-construction building, the naval base is out of sight. This is our prima facie view. We are intrigued that there are other buildings very close to the establishment and a threat perception hovers around them too, but the Navy has not done anything about them,” the court said.

Those buildings are literally a stone’s throw from INS Shikra, Justice Ghuge said.

Senior counsel Janak Dwarkadas, who represented the developer, argued that since the building received its commencement certificate in March 2011, months before the notification issued by the Ministry of Defence, it did not require the mandatory NOC from the defence.