Kyiv (AP): Strikes on Russian oil facilities by Ukraine's newly developed long-range missiles and drones are causing significant gas shortages in Russia, while on the battlefield a recent Ukrainian counter-offensive has derailed Russia's plans to capture parts of the eastern Donetsk region, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says.

Ukraine's new Palianytsia missile has hit dozens of Russian military depots, Zelenskyy said. The Ruta missile drone, meanwhile, recently struck a Russian offshore oil platform more than 250 km away in what Zelenskyy called “a major success” for the new weapon.

Also, swarms of Liutyi and Fire Point long-range drones — up to 300 units in one operation — have hit Russian energy facilities, and Ukrainian forces recently fired Neptune and Flamingo missile systems at Russia, the Ukrainian leader said.

Russian fuel shortages and higher imports indicate that Ukraine's attacks are working, Zelenskyy said at a news briefing Wednesday. His remarks were embargoed until Thursday.

“The main thing is that (Russia is) now importing gasoline — that's a signal,” he said. Ukrainian intelligence reports show Russia has boosted imports from Belarus sixfold and removed import duties, while also bringing in fuel from China.

“According to our data, they've lost up to 20% of their gasoline supply — precisely after our strikes,” Zelenskyy said.

Russian officials have made no public comment about possible gas shortages.

The successes with weapons designed and manufactured by Ukraine are a welcome development for Kyiv after more than three years of fighting Russia's invasion, as Moscow deploys its bigger army and economic resources in an attempt to crush its neighbour.

Ukraine has received Western military aid but has been frustrated by restrictions imposed by the United States and European allies on deep strikes into Russia, out of fear of escalating the war.

Ukraine has poured huge efforts into weapons development and has fast become a global centre for defence innovation.

Zelenskyy said he wants the United States to provide Ukraine with additional long-range weapons, specifically naming American-made Tomahawk missiles that can carry large warheads but which Washington has previously refused to provide.

US President Donald Trump, who has been frustrated in his efforts to end the war by Russian objections, said earlier this week that he has “sort of made a decision” on whether to send Tomahawks to Ukraine. He did not elaborate.

“At the last meeting I did not hear no,'” Zelenskyy said of his request for Tomahawks, adding that US officials had agreed to work on the question at a technical level.

A delegation led by Prime Minister Yuliia Svyrydenko is due to travel to the US early next week for talks about air defence, energy cooperation, sanctions and the use of frozen Russian assets to fund Ukraine's war effort.

On the battlefield, Zelenskyy said the most intense fighting remains around Pokrovsk and Dobropillia in the eastern Donetsk region, where Ukrainian troops have launched a counter-offensive operation he described as “very difficult but very timely — and successful”.

“This operation derailed Russia's summer offensive campaign,” he said, adding that what he said was Moscow's plan to occupy much of the Donetsk region by November had failed.

Russian commanders have been ordered “to take Pokrovsk at any cost,” he said, citing intercepted Russian military communications.

Zelenskyy also said Ukraine has contingency plans to protect its natural gas infrastructure, which has been the target of heavy Russian attacks in recent weeks as winter approaches.

“We have Plan A and Plan B,” he said. “Plan A is to rely more on our own extraction. Plan B... is to switch to imports. We understand the volumes, the cost of those imports, and where to get the necessary funds.” 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.

Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.

According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.


“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.

Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.

Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.

The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.

After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.